Document Type : Research Paper
Student of Sport Management, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Sports Management and Marketing, Sanabad Golbahar University, Golbahar, Iran.
Ph.D. Student of Sport Management, Faculty of Sport Sciences, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Coronavirus epidemics around the world have had many positive and negative effects on communities and their activities. The aim of this study was to identify the effects of coronavirus outbreak on the country's sports industry. The present study is an applied research in terms of purpose. The research approach is qualitative, which has been done by the systematic method of Grounded Theory; The statistical population of the present study includes university professors and experts, producers of sports' products, supervisors and secretaries of sports federations, managers of sports clubs of Premier League, managers, deputies and officials of the Ministry and sports and youth departments and managers of sports complexes. A total of 18 people were considered as snowballs and targeted as a research sample. The data collected in this study by in-depth and semi-structured interviews were from participants and they were asked to comment on the effects of the Coronavirus outbreak on the sports industry. Data analysis was performed using open, axial and selective coding to calculate the first and second level categories (axes) and their relationship. Based on the results of the analysis of the findings of the interviews, the final two dimensions of the effects of coronavirus outbreak on the dimensions of the sports industry were identified, which included direct and indirect effects. Accurate identification of the effects of coronavirus outbreak on the sports industry can help the process of adapting the activities of this industry to the current situation.
- Craven, M., Liu, L., Mysore, M., & Wilson, M. (2020). COVID-19: Implications for business. McKinsey & Company.
- Menati, H. (2020). Investigation of the effects of COVID-19 on the global economy, Journal of Social Impact Assessment, 1 (2), 163-181. (In Persian)
- Motalebi, M. (2020). The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on National Growth Prediction in 1399. Journal of Social Impact Assessment. 1 (2), 183- 206. (In Persian)
- Futterman, M., Panja, T., & Keh, A. (2020). As coronavirus spreads, Olympics face ticking clock and a tough call. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/sports/ olympics/coronavirus-tokyo.html. March 5, 2020.
- Australian institute of sport (AIS). (2020). Framework for rebooting sport in covid-19 Environment.P:1-42.https://www.mtba.org.au/wp-content/uploads/35845_AIS-Framework-for-rebooting-sport_FA.pdf
- Brett G. Toresdahl & Irfan M. Asif. "Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Considerations for the Competitive Athlete". Sage Journal. 2020. 12(3): 221-224.
- National Basketball Association. (2020). NBA to suspend season following Wednesday’s games.https://www.nba.com/article/2020/03/11/nba-suspend-season-following-wednesdays-games. Accessed March 23, 2020.
- Cruyff, J. (2020). The impact of the Covid-19 on the management of sport organizations. Johan Cruyff Institute.
- Cohen, B., Robinson, J., Flint, J. (2020). Sports Industry Reels From Coronavirus Fallout. The Wall Street Journal. Updated March 29, 2020 8:42 pm ET. https://www.wsj.com/articles/sports-industry-reels-from-coronavirus-fallout-11585517192
- International Olympic Committee. (2020) Joint statement from the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee. https://www.olympic.org/news/joint-statement-from-the-international-olympic-committee-and-the-tokyo-2020-organising-committee. Accessed March 30, 2020.
- Hughes, D. (2020). In the frame, road map for Australian sport on an uncertain journey through COVID-19. Journal of science and medicine in sport, 23(7), 636-638.
- Safania, A., & Brahmand, R. (2020). Evaluation of the effects of coronavirus on the sports industry. Journal of Educational Psychology. 16 (56), 131-119. (In Persian)
- Csato, L. (2020). Coronavirus and sports leagues: how to obtain a fair ranking if the season cannot resume?. C44, Z20.
- Ravalli, S. Musumeci, G. (2020). Coronavirus Outbreak in Italy: Physiological Benefitsof Home-Based Exercise During Pandemic. Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology, 5(2), 31-39.
- Hammami, A. Harrabi, B. Mohr, M., & Krustrup, P. (2020). Physical activity and coronavirus disease 2019(COVID-19): specific recommendations for home-based physical training. Managing Sport and Leisure. 10, 15-22.
- Timpka, T. (2020). Sport in the tracks and fields of the corona virus: Critical issues during the exit from lockdown. Journal of science and medicine in sport, 23(7), 634.
- Rizvandi, A., Afrozeh, M., & Jalilvand, M. (2020). Identification of the challenges of acquiring and doing sports in the COVID-19 crisis and provide a solution. Sports Management Studies. 12 (61), 34-17. (In Persian)
- Parnell, D., Widdop, P., Bond, A., & Wilson, R. (2020). COVID-19, networks and sport. Managing Sport and Leisure, 15, 1-7.
- Soleimani, M., Barani, M., Inanloo, S., & Khojasteh, A. (2020). Modeling the shopping behavior of customers of sports stores during the outbreak of coronavirus (preconditions and consequences). Journal of Sports Management Studies. Accepted, online publication from 16 July. (In Persian)
- Nicola, M., Alsafi, Z., Sohrabi, C., Kerwan, A., Al-Jabir, A., Iosifidis, C. et al. (2020). The socio-economic implications of the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19): A review. International Journal of Surgery, 78, 185–93.
- Wu, Y.-C.,, Chen, C.-S., & Chan, Y.-J.. (2020). Outbreak of COVID-19: An overview. Journal of the Chinese Medical Association. 83(3), 217-220.
- Asadollahi, E., kashtidar, M., Heydari, R., Perić, M. (2020). Brand Identity Transfer and Consumers’ Sport Commitment in the Iranian Football Premier League: Mediating Role of Promotional and Advertising Tools. Journal of New Studies in Sport Management, 1(1), 10-21. doi: 10.22103/jnssm.2020.16545.1008
- Asadollahi, E., Gholami Bidkhani, R., Jaghargh Mahian, A., & Yazdanian, M. (2020). Research Methods in Physical Education and Sports. Book Tak Publications. First Edition. Mashhad. P. 493. (in Persian)
- Matteucci, X., & Gnoth, J. "Elaborating on grounded theory in tourism research". Annals of Tourism Research, 2017. 65. Pp: 49–59.
- Glaeser, E. L., La Porta, R., Lopez-de-Silanes, F., & Shleifer, A. "Do institutions cause growth?". Journal of economic Growth, 2004. 9(3): 271-303.
- Marca (2020). Availanble at: https://www.marca.com/en/football/real madrid/2020/05/30/ 5ed22def22601dae698b4604.html , 30/05/2020.
- Shafaghna shia news association. " The financial impact of the coronavirus on the world of sports". News Code: 917582. https://fa.shafaqna.com/news/917582/. 2020. (In Persian)
- Rezae Soofi, M., & Shabani, A. (2014). The effect of mass media on sports financing. Communication Management in Sports Media, 1(3), 46-49. (In Persian)
- Huda. H, Al-Khaja. "Investors' opinions about sports marketing in Bahrain", The sport journal. 2001. 4(4), 42-57.
- Ayatollahi, A H, Peymanizad, H, Fahim Davin, H, Asadollahi, E. "Identifying the factors affecting the survival and increasing the championship life of national team athletes in international and Olympic competitions. Organizational Management and Behavior in Sports, 2020. 8 (1), 13-25. (in Persian)
- Deloitte. (2012). www.deloitte.com/FML2005-2012
- Ahmadzadeh, A., Moosavi, S. J., & Dousti, M. (2013). Identifying sports cultural opportunity–Case Study of Mazandaran Province. Annals of Applied Sport Science, 1(3), 9-16.
- Sayadchi, F., Zeytounli, A., & Zeytounli, S. (2013). The effect of a sporting event on the development of sports recreational spaces. Fourth Conference of State and Public Organizations and Centers, National Congress of Sports Management. Course 4. Pp: 31. (In Persian)