Document Type : Research Paper
PhD Student of Sport Management, Borujerd Branch, Islamic Azad University. Borujerd, Iran
Assistant Professor in Physical Education, Technical and Vocational University (TVU), Tehran, Iran
Assistance Professor in Sport Management, Islamic Azad University Borujerd Branch,Boujerd Iran
The soft power of the Islamic Republic of Iran, after fourteen years of glorious revolution, has been influenced by various macro and micro concepts that have been repeatedly challenged by Western countries, especially the United States; And US political decision-makers are developing and strengthening their soft power in the world, including the Islamic Republic of Iran, in light of recent years' successes in the international field of sports, including seventeenth among the 206 countries in the Olympics. 2012 can use this capacity to expand its interactions in the media arena The purpose of the present study was initially to explore the concepts of strengthening Iran's soft power through sport and to design a favorable paradigm for the development of diplomatic relations with Western countries, especially the United States. Then, SPSS and PLS software were used to investigate the correlation between variables based on Spearman test, exploratory factor analysis and finally structural and interpretive modeling of independent and dependent variables. The findings showed that seven factors of trade development, religious affairs, interactions, cultural affairs, national unity, diplomatic currents and friendship were in four levels influenced by Iran's international sporting environment.
- Rahmani M. General diplomacy and Foreign Policy (In Persian)]. Strategic Studies of Public Policy, 2015. p. 63-90.
- keshavarz Shokri A. Cultural Diplomacy in the Middle East: Community Evolution and the Need to Use New Tools (In Persian)]. Culture communication studies. 2013;14p 7-29.
- Sabbaghian A. Sport Diplomacy (In Persian)]. Culture- Communication Studies. 2016;16(31):132-51.
- Grix J, Hpulihan B. Sports mega-events as part of a nations soft power srrategy:the cases of Germany (2006) and the UK (2012). The British journal of politics & Internatinal Relation. 2014;16(4).
- Li Y. Public Diplomacy Strategies of the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2012 London Olympics: A Comparative Study. International Journal of the History of Sport. 2013;30:1723- 34.
- Murray S. Moving beyond the ping-pong table: sports diplomacy in the modern diplomatic environment. Public Diplomacy Magazine. 2013;9:11-6.
- Cha VD. Winning is not enough: Sport and politics in east Asia and beyond. The International Journal of the History of Sport. 2013;30(11):1287-98.
- Nauright J, Schimmel KS. The political economy of sport: Springer; 2005.
- Murray S, editor Sports-Diplomacy: a hybrid of two halves. Artigo apresentado no International Symposium on Cultural Diplomacy Anais Berlim; 2011.
- Shariati Feizabadi M. Designing and Modeling the Components of Sport Diplomacy in the Development of International Relations(In Persian)]. PHD Thesis Tehran University. 2015.
- Sajjadi SN. Olympic centenary (1896-1996) (In Persian)]. Payam Noor. 2000.
- Štulajer I, Štulajter M. Significance of Sport in International Relations. Journal of Modern Science. 2016(2 (29)):381-8.
- Khabiri M. the Role of Sport in Public Diplomacy in the Islamic Republic of Iran. Center of Studies and Strategic Research. 2014.
- Deos A. Sport and relational public diplomacy: the case of New Zealand and Rugby World Cup 2011. Sport in Society. 2014;17(9):1170-86.
- Bakhshi chenari A, Goodarzi M, Sajjadi SN, jalali farahani m. Providing Solutions for Empowering and Promoting Sport Diplomacy in Foreign Policy of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Communication Management in Sport Media. 2019;6(23):80-90.
- Shariati Feizabadi M, Nazemi M. Peace Making Role of Sport (In Persian)]The Social Cultural Strategy Journal. 2017;6(24):163-88.
- Aziz Abadi M. The place of sport in domestic and international politics for peace and friendship. Journal of Politic. 2018;4(14):113-23.
- Bagheri Y, Shariati Feizabadi M, Nazarian A. Interpretative Structural Modeling (ISM) of Sport Diplomacy Components. Journal of Sport Management. 2016;8(5):797-821.
- Shahrezaei F, Shirzadi R. Role of Sports in Development of International Relations of the Islamic Republic of Iran (1997 – 2013) (In Persian)]. Strategic Studies on Youth ans Sports. 2016;15(32):35-60.
- Jankovic S. Enhancing international dispute settlement: the role of sports diplomacy. International Journal of Diplomacy and Economy. 2017;3(3):264-78.
- SCHNEIDER RC. Sport as a Facilitator of Positive International Relations. International Journal of Sport Culture and Science.4(Special Issue 3):843-51.
- Boyacioğlu F, Oğuz AG. The Role of Sports in International Relations. Acta Universitatis Danubius Relationes Internationales. 2016;9(1).
- Fozooni B. Religion, politics and class: conflict and contestation in the development of football in Iran. Soccer & Society. 2004;5(3):356-70.
- Munt V. Game, Set, Match: Sports and the Future of Diplomacy. 2015.
- Chehabi HE. Sport diplomacy between the United States and Iran. Diplomacy and Statecraft. 2001;12(1):89-106.