Document Type : Research Paper
Ph.D. Student،, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Urmia university, Urmia, Iran.
Professor of Sport Management, Department of Sport Management, Faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Urmia, Urmia, Iran
The aim of the present study was to investigate the relationship of organizational envy and bullying with organizational cynicism in physical education teachers with the mediating role of career plateau. This study was quantitative in terms of the main strategy, survey in terms of administrative strategy and descriptive-correlation in terms of the analytical technique. The statistical population consisted of physical education teachers in the south region of West Azerbaijan province (n=420) and 201 subjects were selected by random (convenience) sampling method. The organizational envy questionnaire of Valizadeh, Azerbaijani (2010), organizational cynicism questionnaire of Dean et al. (1998), organizational bullying questionnaire of Inarsen et al. (2009) and Allen's career plateau questionnaire (2004) were used to collect data. Data were analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics with SPSS20 and Lisrel 8.50. Findings showed that the direct effects of organizational envy variable on career plateau variable, organizational envy variable on organizational cynicism, organizational bullying variable on career plateau, organizational bullying variable on organizational cynicism and career plateau variable on organizational cynicism were significant and positive. The indirect path coefficients of organizational envy variable through career plateau on organizational cynicism and organizational bullying variable through career plateau on organizational cynicism were also positive and significant. Therefore, it can be accepted that the spread of organizational bullying and organizational envy leads to career plateau and the outcome will be organizational cynicism. So, it is suggested that managers and policymakers should reduce the norms and behaviors of envy and observe organizational bullying when interacting with teachers in order to reduce their
- Abdollahi, Bijan and Alijan Node Pashangi, Majid. Tebiben orientation toward change in schools based on the role of organizational cynicism and leadership style. Two Quarterly Journal of School Management. 2016;4(1):47-70. [In Persian]
- Abdollahi, Reza and Kashef, Seyed Mohammad. The Relationship between Organizational Envy and Positive Work Engagement in Physical Education Teachers with the Mediating Role of Hypocritical Behaviors. Organizational Behavior Management in Sport Studies. 2019;6(4):31-40. [In Persian]
- Abedi Jafari, Hassan, Shia Zadeh, Elaheh, Seyyed Hosseini, Seyedeh Samira. The effect of Envy on nurses' willingness to quit self-esteem mediation and non-citizen behaviors. Organizational Culture Management. 2014;12(4):763-786. [In Persian]
- Acaray A, yıldırım S. The impact of personality traits on organizational cynicism in the education sector, World Journal of Entrepreneurship. Management and Sustainable Development. 2017;13(1): 65-76.
- Aly, N. A. E. F. M., Ghanem, M., & El-Shanawany, S. Organizational Cynicism and Its Consequences on Nurses and Quality of Care in Critical Care and Toxicology Units. Journal of Education and Practice. 2016;7(8):85-96.
- Biswas, M & Kapil, C. Organizational change cynicism: The role of employee involvement. Human Resource Management. 2017;47: 667-686.
- Blanca, R.G. Rivera, Ignacio. A.M. Martinez and Cox L. John. The hidden face of mobbing behavior Survey application of the Cisneros inventory in a maquila facility in Mexico. 2014; 59(1).175-193.
- Celse, J. Sketching Envy: »From philosophy to psychology, LAMETA«. DT-2010-22. Dijon, France: Dijon Business School. 2010.
- Chiaburu, Natalia M. Lorinkova and Linn Van Dyne Meta-Analysis of Leader, Coworker, and Organizational Influences Employees' Social Context and Change-Oriented Citizenship : A. Group & Organization Management. 2013; 38(3): 291-333.
- Christopher S., Mujcic, R., & Oswald, A. J. Is envy harmful to a society's psychological health and wellbeing? A longitudinal study of adults. Social Science & Medicine. 2015; 198: 103-111.
- Cohen-Charash Y, Larson EC. An emotion divided: Studying envy is better than studying “benign” and “malicious” envy, Current Directions in Psychological Science. 2017; 26(1): 174–183 .
- Demirates, O. T., Hannah, S., Gok, K., Arsalan, A., & Capar, N. The Moderated Influence of Ethical Leadership, Via Meaningful Work, on Followers’ Engagement, Organizational Identification, and Envy. Journal of Business Ethics. 2015;(1): 1-17.
- Duffy, M. K., Shaw, J. D., & Schaubroeck, J. M. Envy in organizational life. In Envy: Theory and research. Oxford University Press. 2010.
- Elçi, M., Erdilek, M., K. Alpkan, L. & Şener İ. “The mediating role of mobbing on the relationship between organizational silence and turnover intention”. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2014;150: 445-464. Available online at www. Sciencedirect.com.
- Ghafari, Shams and Ashouri, Maryh. Determining the Role of Organizational Bullying Perception in the Relationship between Job Stress and Desire to Leave the Ministry of Sport and Youth Personnel. Organizational Behavior Management Studies in Sport. 2017;4 (16): 129-139. [In Persian]
- Gholipoor, A., Mohammad Esmaeili, N., Parsa, F. The Effect of Leader-member Exchange on Organizational Envy (Case of Study: A Survey on Iran's Melli Bank's Staff). Journal of Public Administration. 2018;10(3): 415-442. [In Persian]
- Gholipour, Arian ؛ Bod, Mahdieh ؛ Fakhri Kuzhkonan and Baghstan Brzaki, Hurriya. "The Relationship between Perceived Organizational Bullying and Women's Psychological Stress". Scientific Quarterly Social Welfare Research. 2009;9 (34): 187-189. [In Persian]
- Giorgi, Gabriele. Workplace bullying risk assessment in 12 italian organization international, journal of workplace health management. 2009;2(1): 34-47.
- Hurst, S. C., Kungu, K., & Flott, P. Stress. organizational citizenship behaviors, and coping: Comparisons among plateaued and non-plateaued employees. Business and Management Research. 2012; 1(3): 17-27.
- Ikyanyon, D. G. & Ucho, A. “Workplace bullying, job satisfaction and job performance among employees in a federal hospital in Nigeria”. European Journal of Business and Management. 2013;5 (23), 116-125 .
- Jay R.Parikh, Jay A.Harolds, Edward I.Bluth. Workplace Bullying in Radiology and Radiation Oncology. Journal of the American College of Radiology. 2017;14 (8): 1089-1093.
- Jiang, Zh. The relationship between career adaptability and job content plateau: The mediating roles of fit perceptions. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 2016; 95(2): 1-10.
- Karimianpour, Ghaffar; Zahid Bablan, Adel; Creator, Ali and Rezaei Sharif, Ali. The Relationship between Individual and Organizational Attributes among Elementary School Teachers: The Mediating Role of Job Resilience. Journal of School Administration. 2018;6 (2): 1-16. [In Persian]
- Kim E, Glomb TM. Victimization of high performers: the roles of envy and work group identification. J Appl Psychol. 2014;99: 6-19.
- Kim, T., Kim, S., Yang, J., Seo, H. M. & Chang, K. Impacts of Career Plateau on Professional Commitment,Organizational Commitment, and Counterproductive Work Behaviors, North American Society for Sport ManagementConference. Friday, London. 2011;3: 270-279.
- Kwesi,A., Francis,A. Do Personality and Organizational Politics Predict Workplace Victimization? A Study among Ghanaian Employees. 2016.
- Lee, H., Cummings, G. Examining relationships between director leadership practices and manager work life and burnout. Journal of leadership studies. 2008; 2(2): 47-62.
- Miles S. Gordon J. Storlie C. Job satisfaction, perceived career plateau, and the perception of promotability: a correlational study. The Journal of International Management Studies. 2013;8(1):1-9.
- Mirzaii, Wahid. The Impact of Organizational Justice and Organizational Cynicism on Organizational Commitment. National Conference on Modern Accounting and Management Research in the Third Thousand. 2018. [In Persian]
- Neville, T. M. & Henry, D. B. “Career Plateauing among Senior Librarians”. Journal of Library Administration. 2017; 57(6(: 651-673.
- Ning yang, w. That's not what I signed up for! A longitudinal investigation of the impact of unmet expectation and age in the relation between career plateau and job attitudes. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 2018;107: 71-85.
- Oriarewo, G., Agbim, K.C., Owoicho, M. Entrepreneurial Success, Knowledge Workers Plateauing and Turnover: The Impact of Relatedness. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications. 2013; 3(6): 1-7.
- Özkoç, A., Çalışkan, N. The Impact of Organizational Envy on Organizational Climate Created among Employees: An Application in Accommodation Enterprises. International Journal of Business and Management. 2015; 10(1), 40-49.
- Parris, L. N. »The Development and Application of the Coping with Bullying Scale for Children«. [Doctoral dissertation]. Georgia, USA: Georgia State University. 2013.
- Rayisi, A ., & Nastiezaee, N. The Relationship between Organizational Cynicism and Organizational Anti-Citizenship Behavior with the Mediating Role Organizational Envy of: Quarterly Journal of Career & OrganizationalCounseling. 2019;11(38): 109-126. [In Persian]
- Shu, C. Y., & Lazatkhan, J. Effect of leader-member exchange on employee envy and work behavior moderated by self-esteem and neuroticism. Revista de Psicología del Trabajo y de las Organizaciones. 2017; 33(1): 69-81.
- Su, T.-W. & Cheng, J.-W. “Effect of Structural Content Career Plateaus on Job Involvement: Do Institutional/Occupational Intentions Matter?” Universal Journal of Management. 2017;5(4):190-198.
- Tai, K., Narayanan, J., & McAllister, D. J. Envy as pain: Rethinking the nature of envy and its implications for employees and organizations. Academy of Management Review. 2012;37(1):107-129.
- Turkmen F, Aykac E. The Association between Organizational Cynicism and Organizational Citizenship Behavior: A Case Study, European Research Studies Journal.2017;(44):742-753.
- Vrmyngan F. Quality of life and independent living and working levels of farmers and ranchers with disabilities. Disability and Health. An International Journal. 2017;15(1): 5-19.
- Xin, X. Hierarchical plateau and turnover intention of employees at the career establishment stage: Examining mediation and moderation effects. Career Development International.2016; 21(5):518-533.
- Zardashtian Shirin, Hosseini Maryam, Karimi Javad. The Effect of Career Plateau on Intention to Quit Job With Mediating Role of Burnout in the Physical Education Teachers Kermanshah Province. Organizational Behavior Management Studies in Sport. 2018; 3(15): 61-69. [In Persian]
- Zare, Amin; Azadi, Mohammad Hossein; Sepehri, Saeed. Genuine leadership and the tendency to quit: explaining the mediating role of organizational bullying and job burnout. Journal of Forensic Management Research. 2019; 13(2), 333-359. [In Persian]
- Zlatan Krizan Z, Johar O. Envy Divides the Two Faces of Narcissism, Journal of Personality. 2012; 80(5):1415-1451.
- Zuhorparvandeh, Wajieh and Shokrallahi, Mehrdad. The Relationship between Leadership Leadership Behavior and Organizational Cynicism with Consideration of the Moderating Role of Organizational Justice in Education. Journal of Educational Leadership & Management Research. 2017;3(12):111-148.