Document Type : Research Paper
PhD Student in Sport Management, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Mazandaran, Babolsar, Iran
Assistant Professor in Sport Management, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Mazandaran, Babolsar, Iran
The aim of this study was to examine the role of social support in sport commitment of the women participating in sport activities. The population consisted of all women who participated in sport activities in Mazandaran province. 297 women were selected as the sample. A demographic questionnaire, Social Support Questionnaire (Wax et al., 1986) and Sport Commitment Model (Scanlan, 1993) were used to collect the data after their validity and reliability were determined. Findings indicated that sport commitment had a positive and significant relationship with family support, friends’ support and others’ support. Path analysis test showed that social support factors (family support, friends’ support, others’ support) directly affected sport commitment. The section of total effect indicated that friends’ support had the largest effect on sport commitment (β=0.38). Endogenous variables’ R-square indicated that %36 of sport commitment variance was explained by exogenous variables. Finally, the model showed a good fit to the data
- Kashef, M.M. (2011) Leisure and Recreation Management. Issue 1. Mobtakeran and Pishrovan publishing, Tehran, pp. 51-60. [persian]
- Kargar, S, Amiri, R, Jamalpur, M, Pegah, N. (2013) Effect of women's knowledge of the benefits of sport on their referral to sport Gyms. 5th urban planning and management conference. Mashhad. [Persian]
- Salehi, J, Rahmani, A. (2010) The Role of Social Physique Anxiety in Determining the Motivation for Participating in Physical Activity, Journal of development and motor learning, Vol 2, Issue 3, pp. 81-101. [persian]
- Tondnevis, F,. (2001). The place of sport in the leisure time of the people of Iran, Harkat Journal/ Vol 12, pp: 87-104. [Persian]
- Arizi, F, Vahida, F, Parsamehr, M,. (2006). The Effect of Social Protection on Women's Participation in Sport Activities (Case Study: Mazandaran Province), Olympic quarterly, Vol: 1, pp: 77-86. [Persian]
- Mir Hosseini, M.A, Hadavi, F, Mozafari, A.A,. (2011). Validity and Reliability of sport commitment Model among Athletic students. Journal of sport management, Vol 4, pp: 105-121.
- Choosakul C, Vongjaturapat N. (2009).The Sport Commitment Model: An Investigation of Structural Relationships with Thai Youth Athlete Populations". Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, Vol:13, PP: 123–139.
- Lukwu M, Guzmán Luján F, )2011). "Sport commitment and adherence: A social-cognitive analysis". International Journal of Sport Science, 1885-3137.
- Scanlan T.K, Carpenter J.M, Schmidt E, Simons B, Keeler P, (1993). "The Sport Commitment Model". Journal of sport and exercise psychology,15. PP:1-15.
- Casper J. M, Babkes S. M, (2008). "Demographic Predictors of Recreational Tennis Participants’ Sport Commitment". Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 3: 93-115.
- Scanlan T.K, Russell D. G, Beals K. P, Scanlan L. A, (2003). "Project on Elite Athlete Commitment (PEAK): A Direct Test and Expansion of the Sport Commitment Model With Elite Amateur Sportsmen". Journal of sport and exercise psychology, 25, PP:360-376.
- Wilson M, Rodgers W.M, Carpenter P.J, Hall C, Hardy J, Fraser Sh.N, (2004). "The relationship between commitment and exercise behavior". journal Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 5: 405–421.
- Rowland T. W, Freeds P. S, (1994). "Physical activity, fitness, and Health in children: A Close look pediatrics" Pediatrics. Vol:93, PP: 669 - 672.
- Ghaedi, H, Nobakht, R, Daneshju, A.H,. (2010). The Effect of Social Support and Demographic Factors on Women's Participation in Sport Activities (Case Study: Lamerd Women), Quarterly Journal of women & hygiene.Vol: 2, pp:1-19. [Persian]
- Riyahi, M.A, Vardinia, A.A, Purhossein Z,. (2010). The Relationship between Social Support and Mental Health, Social Welfare Quarterly, Vol 39, pp: 85-121. [Persian]
- Rusbult C. E. (1980). "Satisfaction and commitment in friendships". Representative Research in Social Psychology, Vol:11, PP: 96–105.
- 14. Ahmadi A. (2016). "Social Support and Women’s Health". Women's Health Bull, Vol 3, PP:1-5.
- 23. Tercan E. (2014). "Perceived Social Support from Family, Participation in Recreational Sport Activities, Leisure Negotiation and Life Satisfaction in University Students". Mevlana International Journal of Education, Vol 4, PP: 260-273.
- 26. Young B. W. Medic N. (2011). "Examining social influences on the sport commitment of Masters swimmers" by journal Psychology of Sport and Exercise 12: 168- 175.
- 18. Rees T. Hardy L. Freeman P. (2007). "Stressors, social support, and effects upon performance in golf". Journal of Sports Sciences, Vol 25, PP: 33 – 42.
- 24. Weiss W.M. Weiss M.R. (2006). "A longitudinal analysis of commitment among competitive female gymnasts". Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Vol 7. pp 309–323.
- Noruzi Seyed Hosseini, R, Kozechiyan, H, Ehsani, M, Feyz Askari, S, Noruzi Seyed Hosseini, E,. (2011). The Relationship between Autonomy – Supportive Behaviours of Coaches and Sport Commitment of Iranian Elite Fencing Players. Journal of sport management, Vol 4, pp: 139-159.
- 11. Naghdi, A, Balali, E, Imani P,. (2011). A Study On Socio- Cultural Barriers of Women's Participation in Sports Case study: 20-40 year-old female athletes and non-athletes in Hamedan province. Women in Development and Politics. Vol 9, pp:147-163.
- 13. Homan, H.A. (2009). Structural Equation Modeling Using Laser Software, Second edition, Samt Publishers, Tehran, pp: 45-67.
- 5. Ghasemi, V,. (2010), Modeling Structural Equations in Social Research Using AMOS, First edition, Sociology Publishers, Tehran, pp: 1-376. [Persian]
- Lawrence S. Meyers, Glenn C. Gamst, Anthony J. Guarino. (2012). Applied Multivariate Research: Design and Interpretation, Translation by Pashashrifi, H, Farzad, F, Reza Khani, S, et al., Tehran: Roshd Publishing.