Document Type : Research Paper
PhD Student in Sport Management , Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Islamic Azad University, Tehran Central Branch, Tehran, Iran,
Professor in Sport Management, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Islamic Azad University, Tehran Central Branch, Tehran, Iran,
Associated professor, Faculty of physical education and sport sciences, Islamic Azad University of Thran central branch
The aim of this study was to test the model of spectators’ satisfaction in Iran football premier league. The research method was descriptive survey and application in terms of aims. 705 spectators from 10 football premier league teams were selected as the sample. Data were collected by a researcher-made scale based on similar studies of Yoshida and James (2010) and Biscaia et al. (2013). The reliability of the scale was obtained as 0.93 using Cronbach's alpha. For data analysis, descriptive statistics and structural equation modeling were used. The results showed that the model was in a good fit and it can be used to examine football spectators’ satisfaction. The overall effect of referee’s performance, coach’s performance, players’ performance, opponents’ characteristics and game atmosphere on game satisfaction was significant. Among those factors influencing game satisfaction, the effect of game atmosphere was more than other paths. The overall effect of facility space, stadium employees and accessibility facilities on service satisfaction was significant. The overall effect of game satisfaction and service satisfaction on behavioral intentions was significant. Overall results showed that although the proposed satisfaction model may not fully reflect consumer behavior intentions, the clubs will benefit from spectators’ perceptions of the quality attributes of sporting events and this information can have a good diagnostic value and provide good guidance to reform, improve and enhance the provided services.
- Baker DA, Crompton JL. Quality satisfaction and behavioral intentions. Annals of Tourism Research. 2000; 27(3): 785-804.
- Liu Y-C. An analysis service quality, customer satisfaction and customer loyalty of commercial swim clubs in Taiwan. A Dissertation Project Submitted to the Faculty of the United States Sports Academy in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the degree of Doctor of Sports Management; 2008.
- Ahmad J, Nases K. Customer satisfaction and retail banking: an assessment of some of the key antecedents of customer satisfaction in retail banking. International Journal of Bank Marketing. 2002; 20(4): 146-60.
- Muslim A, Ziadi I. An examination of the relationship between service quality perception and customer satisfaction. International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management. 2008; 1(3): 191-209.
- Ndubisi NA. Structural equation modelling of the antecedents of relationship quality in the Malaysia banking sector. Journal of Financial Services Marketing. 2006; 11(2): 131-41.
- Sheng T, Liu C. An empirical study on the effect of Eservice quality on online customer satisfaction and loyalty. Nankai Business ReviewInternational. 2010; 1(3): 273-83.
- Wah Ck, Ndubisi NO. Factorial and discriminant analyses of the under pinnings of relationship marketing and customer satisfaction. International Journal of Bank Marketing. 2005; 23(7): 542-57.
- Almasi S, Razavi MH, Amirnejad S. [Customer orientation and customer's satisfaction in public and private sports facilities of mazandaran province (in Persian)]. Research in Sports Management and Motor Behavior. 2015; 11(21): 129-38.
- Hasanzadeh M. [Sportt Marketing (in Persian)]. 1nd ed.Tehran, Porseman Publications. 2005.
- Juga J, Juntunen J, Grant DB. Service quality and its relation to satisfaction and loyalty in logistics outsourcing relationships. Managing Service Quality. 2010; 20(6): 496-510.
- Kwon HH, Trail GT, Anderson DS. Are multiple points of attachment necessary to predict cognitive, affective, conative, or behavioral loyalty? A case analysis. Sport Management Review. 2005; 8(3): 255-70.
- Trail GT, Anderson DF, Fink JS. Consumer satisfaction and identity theory: A model of sport spectator conative loyalty. Sport Marketing Quarterly. 2005; 14(2): 98-112.
- Wakefield KL, Blodgett JG. The effect of the servicescape on customers’ behavioral intentions in leisure service settings. Journal of Services Marketing. 1996; 10(6): 45-61.
- Yoshida M, James JD. Customer satisfaction with game and service experiences: Antecedents and consequences. Journal of Sport Management. 2010; 24(3): 338-361.
- Grönroos C. A service quality model and its marketing implications. European Journal of marketing. 1984; 18(4): 36-44.
- Theodorakis ND, Alexandris K, Tsigilis N, Karvounis S. Predicting spectators’ behavioural intentions in professional football: The role of satisfaction and service quality. Sport Management Review. 2013; 16(1): 85-96.
- Biscaia R, Correia A, Yoshida M, Rosado A, Marôco J. The role of service quality and ticket pricing on satisfaction and behavioural intention within professional football. International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship. 2013; 14(4): 301-326.
- Saeedi R, Hosseini SE, Farzam F. [The relationship of service quality to the customer`s satisfaction and loyalty in women`s sport clubs: case of mazandaran province (in Persian)]. Research in Sports Management and Motor Behavior. 2015; 11(22): 29-38.
- Tayebeh Z, Raziyeh S. [Investigating the relationship between customer satisfactions of sports complexes of Tehran municipality and improving the quality of services of sports complexes (in Persian)]. Quarterly Urban Management Studies. 2014; 6(17): 81-86.
- Goodarzi M, Ramazani N. [Investigating the factors affecting the customers' satisfaction of private women's bodybuilding clubs (in Persian)]. Physiology and Management Research in sport. 2011;1(4):53-60.
- Zhang Y, Lee D, Judge LW, Johnson JE. The Relationship among service quality, satisfaction, and future attendance intention: The case of Shanghai ATP Masters 1000. International Journal of Sports Science. 2014; 4(2): 50-59.
- Foroughi B, Mohammad Shah KHA, Nikbin D, Hyun SS. The Impact of event quality on fan satisfaction and game attendance in the context of professional soccer in Iran. International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship. 2014; 15(3): 40-56.
- Hussein AS. How event awareness, event quality and event image creates visitor revisit intention?: A lesson from car free day event. Procedia Economics and Finance. 2016; 35: 396-400.
- Nemati N, Tojari F, Zarei A, Ashraf Ganjouei F. [Testing theoretical model of the factors affecting on football spectators attendance in Iran (in Persian)]. Sport Management Studies. 2012; 4(13): 107-22.
- McDonald MA, Milne GR, Hong J. Motivational factors for evaluating sport spectator and participant markets. Sport Marketing Quarterly. 2002; 11(2): 100-113.
- Cronin Jr JJ, Brady MK, Hult GTM. Assessing the effects of quality, value, and customer satisfaction on consumer behavioral intentions in service environments. Journal of Retailing. 2000; 76(2): 193-218.
- Cronin JJ, Taylor SA. Measuring service quality: a reexamination and extension. Journal of Marketing. 1992; 56(3): 56-68.
- Hooman H. [Structural equation modeling with LISREL application (in Persian)]. Tehran: Samt Publication; 2005.
- Kline P. Principles and practice of structural equation modeling. 3nd ed. The Guildford Press; 2011.
- Harrington D. Confirmatory Factor Analysis. Translated by Vahedi SH, Moghadam M, Ghaderi P. 1nd ed. Tabriz, Tabriz Univercity Publications; 2012.
- Karegar Gh. Analysis of sporting facilities in the country and determining the factors affecting productivity from the viewpoint of experts and presenting the producer model. Doctoral dissertation. Iran: Tehran Univercity; 2004.
- Bakhtiari M. A consideration of spectators’ satisfaction regarding different services in soccer premier league [MSc]. Iran: Tehran Univercity; 2010.
- Bavarsad ebdali Z. Students' satisfaction of extracurricular exercise activities at dormitories of Tehran University [MSc]. Iran: Tehran Univercity; 2008.
- Ramzaninezhad R, Mirjamali E, Rahmaninia F. [The study of stressors in national and international iranian (in Persian)]. Sport Management Review. 2013; 4(16): 207-24.
- Ghahfarokhi Dehghan, A. Evaluating the performance of volleyball national team coaches using 360-degree Fedback [MSc]. Iran: Tehran Univercity; 2010.
- Behnam M, Hamidi M, Ahmadi H, Bakhshandeh H. [The effect of changing coach on team’s performance in Iran’s Football Pro-League (in Persian)]. Scientific Research Semiannual Journal of Research in Sport Management and Motor behavior. 2013; 2(4): 149-59.
- Koo G, Hardin R, McClung S, Jung T, Cronin J, Vorhees C, Bourdeau B Examination of the causal effects between the dimensions of service quality and spectator satisfaction in minor league baseball. International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship. 2009; 11(1): 46-59.
- Tsuji Y, Bennett G, Zhang J. Consumer satisfaction with an action sports event. Sport Marketing Quarterly. 2007; 16(4): 199-208.
- Ueltschy LC, Krampf RF. Cultural sensitivity to satisfaction and service quality measures. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice. 2001; 9(3): 14-31.
- Hamzehpoor Kharadmardi M. Relationship between quality of service, satisfaction and loyalty with the intention of future consumer attendance in mazandaran bodybuilding clubs [MSc]. Iran: Mazandaran Univercity; 2012.
- Kozehchian H, Khatibzadeh M, Honarvar A. [The role of sport tourism service quality dimensions in sport tourists’ satisfaction (in Persian)]. Sport Management and Movement Sciences. 2012; 1(2): 19-32.
- Akbari Yazdi H, Hamidi M, Sajjadi SN, Khabiri M. [The analysis of service quality of I.R.Iran football premier league based on SERVQUAL (in Persian)]. Sport Management Study. 2014; 6(25): 15-38.
- Melnick MJ. Searching for sociability in the stands: A theory of sports spectating. Journal of Sport Management. 1993; 7(1): 44-60.
- Elmiri M, Naderian Jahromi M, Hosseini MS, Nasr Esfahani AR, Rahimi M. [Factors influencing soccer spectators' attendance in professional soccer games in Iran (in Persian)]. Sport Management (Harakat). 2010; 3: 61-73.
- Cheraghi Abajelo Sh, Janani H. The relationship between the effective factors on the attendance of shahrdari Urmia audiences and their shopping behavior in Iran professional volleyball league. Indian Journal of Fundamental and Applied Life Sciences. 2015; 5(1): 1952-1956.
- Alidost Ghahfarrokhi E, Ahmadi A. [The relationship between service quality and satisfaction of spectators in host studuims of AFC shampionship league (in Persian)]. Sport Management (Harakat). 2012; 4(14): 31-47.
- Brady MK, Cronin Jr JJ. Some new thoughts on conceptualizing perceived service quality: A hierarchical approach. Journal of Marketing. 2001; 65(3): 34-49.
- Yildiz SM. An importance-performance analysis of fitness centre service quality: Empirical results from fitness centres in Turkey. African Journal of Business Management. 2011; 5(16) : 31-41.
- Brady MK, Voorhees CM, Cronin Jr JJ, Bourdeau BL. The good guys don't always win: the effect of valence on service perceptions and consequences. Journal of Services Marketing. 2006; 20(2): 83-91.
- Alaghebandi Toosi M, Rahim Niya F, Pooya A. Examination of the effect of service quality on spectator behavioral intentions through their satisfaction. International Review of Management and Business Research. 2014; 3(2): 1061-1072.