Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Education, Azadshahr Branch, Islamic Azad University, Azadshahr, Iran
PhD Student of Sport Management, University of Tehran, Iran
Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Industry and Science University, Tehran, Iran
The aim of this study was to investigate the role of market orientation in business profitability of bodybuilding halls in Kermanshah City. The population consisted of all managers of bodybuilding halls of Kermanshah city (N=153). 113 subjects were selected as the sample by Cochran formula and simple random sampling method; finally 113 questionnaires were returned. To collect data, Market Orientation Questionnaire developed by Ramayah et al. (2011) and Business Profitability Questionnaire developed by William et al. (2009) were used. Internal consistency of these questionnaires was determined by Cronbach's alpha as 0.87 and 0.79 respectively. Descriptive and inferential statistics were used for data analysis. The findings showed no significant relationship between customer orientation and business profitability. No significant relationship was observed between competitor orientation and business profitability. There was a significant and positive relationship between inter-functional coordination and business profitability. Among dimensions of market orientation, inter-functional coordination had the ability to predict business profitability. It is recommended that the manager of bodybuilding halls in Kermanshah city should improve and develop market orientation in their clubs so that they can pave the way for profitability of their business.
- Elahi S, Heydari B. [Study the impact of customer relationship management and product features on perceptions and intent to accept new products (In Persian)]. Journal of Executive Management. 2009; 5: 10-18.
- Tsai K, Chou C, Kuo J. The curvilinear relationships between responsive and proactive market orientations and new product performance: A contingent link. Industrial Marketing Management. 2008; 37(8): 884-894.
- Kumar M, Basu P. Effectiveness of marketing expenditures: A brand level case study. Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing. 2008; 16(3): 181-188.
- Stewart D. How Marketing Contributes to the Bottom Line. Journal of Advertising Research; 48(1): 94-105.
- Mateja B. The impact of a responsive and proactive market orientation on innovation and business performance. Economic and Business Review. 2010; 12(4): 1-14.
- Merlo O, Auh S. The effects of entrepreneurial orientation, market orientation and marketing submit influence on firm performance. Marketing Letters. 2009; 20: 295-311.
- Tsiotsou RH, Vlachopoulou M. Understanding the effects of market orientation and e-marketing on service performance. Marketing Intelligence & Planning. 2011; 29(2): 141-155.
- Aaron J, Clay J, Dibrell C, Hansen E. Market orientation, Innovativeness and Performance of Food Companies. Journal of Agree Business. 2009; 27(1/2): 85-106.
- Neil A, Douglas M, Vorhies W, Mason H. Market orientation, Marketing Capabilities and Firm Performance. Strategic Management Journal. 2009; 30: 909-920.
- Ellis PD. Market orientation and Business Performance: A Meta-Analysis and Cross-National Comparisons. Journal of Management Studies. 2006; 43(5): 1089-1106.
- Haugland S, Myrtveit I, Nygaard A. Market orientation and performance in the service industry: A data envelopment analysis. Journal of Business Research. 2007; 60: 1191-1197.
- Pantouvakis A. Market orientation and service quality: opponents or colleagues. International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences. 2014; 6(2/3): 98-111.
- Ramayah T, Samat N, Lo M. Market orientation, service quality and organizational performance in service organizations in Malaysia. Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Administration. 2011; 3(1): 8-27.
- Rodriguez RAV, Rojas Berrio SP. The impact of market orientation on the financial performance of MSMES (micro, small and medium enterprises) in Bogota. Cuadernos de Administración. 2013; 27(46): 131-140.
- Narver JC, Slater SF. The effect of a market orientation on business profitability. Journal of Marketing. 1990; 54(4): 20-35.
- Jimenez-Zarco AI, Martinez-Ruiz MP, Izquirdo-Yusta A. The impact of market orientation dimensions on client cooperation in the development of new service innovations. European Journal of Marketing. 2011; 45(1/2): 43-67.
- Abdolvand A, Heydazadeh K, Manafi H. [Investigating the effects of market orientation on the economic performance of insurance service companies (In Persian)]. Journal of Management Researches. 2011; 85: 79-95.
- Fathi R, Naseri R, Tabashir R, Delavari S, Afroghi T. A Survey of the Relationship between Market-Orientation and Developing the New Services and Financial Performance of Post Banks of Ilam City. International Research Journal of Applied and Basic Sciences. 2013; 6(1): 58-62.
- Haji Hosseini H, Norzad Moghadam E. [The Effect of Innovation and Market Orientation on Business Performance and Sustainable Competitive Advantage in Industrial Enterprises (In Persian)]. Industrial Technology Development. 2015; 23: 21-29.
- Leo Y, Alan CB, Vincent CS, Frederick HK. An analysis of the relationship between market orientation and business performance in the hotel industry. Hospitality Management. 2005; 24: 555-577.
- David M. Relationship among market orientation, service quality, firm innovation and fitness enterprises performance in Kenya. Ph. D Thesis, Kenyatta University; 2009.
- William E, Baker J, Sinkula M. The Complementary Effects of Market Orientation and Entrepreneurial Orientation on Profitability in Small Businesses. Journal of Small Business Management. 2009; 47(4): 443-464.
- Lopez MB. Market orientation, service quality and business performance of hotels in Klang Valley of Malaysia. M A Thesis, Technology Mara University; 2010.
- Oseyomon EP, Gbandi EC. Market Orientation and Profitability of Quoted Companies in Nigeria. Journal of Business and Management. 2014; 6(16): 8-24.
- Wang ZI. To enhance the running competitiveness of sport institutes with market orientation and character exploration: options on specialty adjustment in sport institutes. Journal of Nanjing Institute of Physical Education. 2008; 7(4): 89-103.
- Farrelly F, Quester P, Clulow W. Exploring Market Orientation and Satisfaction of Partners in the Sponsorship Relationship. Australasian Marketing Journal. 2008; 16(2): 51-66.
- Beaumont-Kerridge J. Market orientation and service quality of public sector sport and recreation providers: a case study approach. Ph. D Thesis, Middlesex University; 2001.