Document Type : Research Paper
MS.c in sport management, Faculty of physical education and sport sciences, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman.
Assistant professor, Faculty of physical education and sport sciences, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman, Kerman, Iran
Associate professor, Faculty of physical education and sport sciences, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman, Kerman, Iran
According to the importance of brand positioning in the sustainable development of sport brands, the aim of the current study was to study the partial role of SERVQUAL dimensions on the brand positioning of Persepolis and Esteghlal football teams. This field study was a descriptive-correlative research and a practical one. The research population included all the fans of Persepolis and Esteghlal football teams. Based on Cochran's formula, 394 football fans were selected through random sampling in Azadi stadium. Data collection was conducted by using Brand Positioning Questionnaire developed by Omidikia (2012) and Service quality Questionnaire developed by Miri (2019). The reliability of the tools was confirmed based on Cronbach's alpha, and the validity of the research tools were confirmed by conducting face validity, content validity as well as construct validity. The findings of the research by applying structural equation modeling demonstrated that the SERVQUAL dimensions (Tangibles, Reliability, Responsiveness, Assurance and Empathy) had a positive and significant effect on the brand positioning of the Persepolis and Esteghlal football teams. According to the research findings, focusing on improving the SERVQUAL and its dimensions is critical for sustainable development of Persepolis and Esteghlal brands that can ultimately leads to the brand positioning and brand consolidation in the mind and heart of football fans.
Brand positioning, Fans, Football, Service quality, SERVQUAL.
- Chen, H. F., & Chen, S. H. How website quality, service quality, perceived risk and customer satisfaction affects repurchase intension?: a case of Taobao online shopping. In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on E-Education, E-Business, E-Management and E-Learning, ACM, 2019: 326-328.
- Rasooli, M., Khabiri, M., Elahi, A., Aghaee, N. Internal factors and obstacles of brand management in Iran's pro league football clubs. Sport Management Studies, 2016, 8(35): 51-66. (In Persian).
- Chandra, K., Takaya, R., & Ramli, A. H. The Effect of Green Brand Positioning, And Green Brand Knowledge on Brand Image, And Green Purchase Intentionin Green Products Consumers. International Journal of Business and Management Invention (IJBMI), 2019, 8: 47-52.
- Iyer, P., Davari, A., Zolfagharian, M., & Paswan, A. Market orientation, positioning strategy and brand performance. Industrial Marketing Management, 2019, 81: 16-29.
- Foster, B. The Influence of Service Quality on Aircraft’s Brand Image in Bandung, Indonesia. Journal of International Business Research and Marketing, 2018, 3(5): 19-24.
- Magnusson, P., Westjohn, S. A., & Sirianni, N. J. Beyond country image favorability: How brand positioning via country personality stereotypes enhances brand evaluations. Journal of International Business Studies, 2019, 50(3): 318-338.
- Miller, J., & Muir, D. The business of brands. New York, John Wiley & Sons; 2005, 86-105.
- Diwan, S. P., & Jain, M. K. Brand Positioning: The unbeatable weapon in present marketing scenario. Indian Journal of Marketing, 2009, 39 (4): 9-13.
- Darling, J. R. Successful competitive positioning: the key for entry into the European consumer market. European Business Review, 2001, 13(4): 209-221.
- Kanwal, S., Samalia, H. V., & Singh, G. The Role of Marketing Intelligence in Brand Positioning: Perspective of Marketing Professionals. In Brand Culture and Identity: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (pp. 695-714). IGI Global; 2019.
- Knox, S. Positioning and Branding Your Organization. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2004, 13(2): 105-115.
- Hartmann, P., Ibáñez, V. A., & Sainz, F. J. F. Green branding effects on attitude: functional versus emotional positioning strategies. Marketing intelligence & planning, 2005, 23(1): 9-29.
- Sagar, M., Singh, D., & Agrawal, D. P. Framework of Ethical Brand Positioning. Journal of Management Research, 2006, 6(2): 88-105.
- Romaniuk, J. Brand positioning in financial services: A longitudinal test to find the best brand position. Journal of Financial Services Marketing, 2001, 6(2): 111-121.
- Romaniuk, J., & Sharp, B. Using known patterns in image data to determine brand positioning. International Journal of Market Research, 2000, 42(2): 1-10.
- Omidikia, K. Designing and Evaluating the Brand Positioning Capabilities model based on Dynamic Capabilities Approach: Food Industry. Ph.D dissertation. Tarbiat Modares University, 2012, 108-111. (In Persian).
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. SERVQUAL: a multi-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of the service quality. Journal of Retailing, 1998, 64(1): 12-40.
- Khazaei Pool, J., Dehghan, A., Jamkhaneh, H. B., Jaberi, A., & Sharifkhani, M. The effect of e-service quality on football fan satisfaction and fan loyalty toward the websites of their favorable football teams. International Journal of E-Business Research, 2016, 12(1): 43-57.
- Esmaeili, M., Moein fard, M., Shushinasab, P., Bonasbordi, A. The relationship between service quality dimensions with loyalty in aquatic sport parks' sport tourists in Mashad. Scientific Journal of Organizational Behavior Management in Sport Studies, 2014, 1(3): 101-112. (In Persian).
- Nazari, R. Hadadi, S. The Effect of Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty and Promoting Brand Strategic Position of Private Clubs: Providing a Model, New Trends in Sport Management, 2017, 5(17): 45-56. (In Persian).
- Kim, S. H., Holland, S., & Han, H. S. A structural model for examining how destination image, perceived value, and service quality affect destination loyalty: A case study of Orlando. International Journal of Tourism Research, 2013, 15(4): 313-328.
- Jamal, A., & Anastasiadou, K. investigating the effects of service quality dimensions and expertise on loyalty. European Journal of Marketing, 2009, 43(3/4): 398-420.
- Ganguli, S., & Roy, S. K. Generic technology-based service quality dimensions in banking: Impact on customer satisfaction and loyalty. International journal of bank marketing, 2011, 29(2): 168-189.
- Jiewanto, A., Laurens, C., Nelloh, L. Influence of Service Quality, University Image, and Student Satisfaction toward WOM Intention: A Case Study on Universitas Pelita Harapan Surabaya. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2012, 40: 16 – 23.
- Marimon, F., Vidgen, R., Barnes, S., & Cristóbal, E. Purchasing behaviour in an online supermarket: the applicability of ES-QUAL. International Journal of Market Research, 2010, 52(1): 111-129.
- Miri, S. The effect of service quality dimensions on the brand positioning of football teams in pro league of Iran based on SERVQUAL model. MS.c thesis in sport management. Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman, 2019; 82-84.(In Persian).
- Al-alak, B. A. The Relationships between Service Quality, Satisfaction, and Behavioral Intentions of Malaysian Spa Center Customers. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2012, 3(1): 198-205.
- Mazloumi Sovini, F., Jaberi, A., Moradi, M., Khazaei pool, J. Examining the effect of service quality of sport tourism destinations on mougth to mougth advertisement (Case study of sport tourists in Noshahr). Economy and Marketing in sport, 2013, 2(6): 19-38. (In Persian).
- Fasanghari, E., goodarzi, M. Exploring the Effect of SERVQUAL Model Aspects of Service Quality on Female Customers’ Satisfaction in Sport Clubs. Sport Physiology & Management Investigations, 2017, 9(1): 21-34. (In Persian).
- Gremler, D. D., Gwinner, K. P., and Brown, S. W. Generating positive word-of-mouth through customer-employee relationships. International Journal of Service Industry Management, 2001, 12(1): 44-69.
- Mangold, W. G., Miller, F., and Brockway, G. R. Word-of-mouth communication in the service marketplace. Journal of Services Marketing, 1999, 13(1): 73-89.
- Fallahi, A., Ehsani, M., PourNaghi, A. The Effect of Service Quality Dimensions' on Satisfaction of Body Building Clubs in Tehran. Sport Management Studies, 2016, 6(27): 109-126. (In Persian).
- Forghani Ozrudi, M., Yaghobi, A. Factors Affecting the Sudden Buying of Sportswear. Journal of New Studies in Sport Management, 2022, 3(1): 399-408.