Document Type : Research Paper
Phd student of sport management, Gorgan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Gorgan, Iran
2. Assistant professor, Department of Physical Education and sport sciences, Gorgan
Associate professor, Department of Physical Education and sport sciences, Gorgan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Gorgan, Iran.
Department of physical education, Gorgan branch, Islamic Azad University, Gorgan, Iran
Background & Purpose: The purpose of this study was to analyze the barriers to effective management of managers of sports organizations.
Methodology: This research was mixed method (in qualitative section, classic modified Delphi method and in quantitative section, descriptive- analytical), respectively.The populations in the qualitative section consist of top level directors of the sports organizations that sampling was targeted and accessible (n=30). The statistical population in the quantitative section includes the directors of the Ministry of Sports and the National Olympic Committee, the provincial general managers of youth and sports, the directors of sport federations (chief, vice president and secretary), the heads of provincial sports councils, and the directors of cities sports and youth departments (N = 2079) and the sample size of the study was (n = 314) that selected with Quota Sampling. Data Collection tools was interviews in qualitative section and a researcher-made questionnaire in quantitative section. Validity of questionnaire was confirmed by 8 sports management professors. Reliability confirmed through Cronbach's alpha that obtained 0.81. Data analysis was done through using descriptive statistics and inferential statistics with Spss20 and Smart PLS.
Results: According to results, five barriers to effective management of sports managers were identified based on priorities are as follow: skill barriers (0.921), supportive barriers (0.874), organizational behavior barriers (0.822), scientific barriers (0.736) and individual-personality barriers (0.675).
Conclusion: According to the research findings, the managers of sports organizations can increase the effectiveness of their management by trying to eliminate intra-individual barriers as well as removing external barriers.
- Chen, Y., Chai, (2013). "Important computer competencies for sport management professionals". International Journal of applied sports sciences, 19(1), 66-85.
- Jalali, R., Alvani, S., Hassanpoor, A., & Mohebzadegan, Y. (2017). "Identification and modeling effective factors in empowering managers". Journal of Research on Management of Teaching in Marine Sciences, 4(1), 14-29. (In Persian)
- Elyasi, G., Amirtash, A., Safania, A. (2019). "Structural Relationships among Organizational Identity, Organizational Commitment, Organizational Voice, and Employee Productivity in Physical Education Departments of Islamic Azad Universities". Journal of Sport Management, 11(3), 561-579. doi: 10.22059/jsm.2018.239009.1909(In Persian)
- Asadi, N., Sajadi, S., Goudarzi, M., & Moradi, A. (2015). "Determining the Competencies of Sports Event Managers". Journal of Sport Management, 7(2), 159-174 (In Persian)
- Emery, P. (2009). "Past, present, future major sport event management practice: The practitioner perspective". Sport Management Review, 13(2), 158-170.
- Sajedi, F., & Omidvar, A. (2007). "Empower employees and today organizations". Journal of Tadbir, No. 16, 181-162. (In Persian)
- Salimi, M., Alavi, S. F., & Soleimani, M. (2019). "Presentation of Selection Factors for Upper Managers of Sport Organizations". Journal of Human Resource Management in Sport, 6(1), 35-49. (In Persian)
- Walia, S. (2014). "Barriers to effective performance management". International Journal of Current Research Vol. 6, Issue, 11, pp.9896-9902.
- Rezaei, S., & Salehi Pour, M. (2019). "Analysis of Effective Factors in Development of Iran Sport Industry using Grounded Theory Approach". Human Resource Management in Sport, 6 (1), 89-107. (In Persian)
- Gabriel, C. G., & Alina, C. I. (2014). "Research on the management of sports organizations". Social and Behavioral Sciences, 140, 667–670.
- Rai, S. (2015). "Organizational justice and employee mental health’s moderating roles in organizational identification". South Asian Journal of Global Business Research, 4(1), 68- 84.
- Farokhshahinia, R., Shabanibahar, G., Farid Fathi, A., Shirvani Naghani, M. (2020). "Explaining the Risk Estimation Pattern of Managers Tasks Based on APMBOK Risk Management Cycle: A Case Study of Student Sports Managers of Payame Noor University". Journal of Sport Management, 12(1), 285-307. doi: 10.22059/jsm.2020.286528.2307 (In Persian)
- Fuertes, G.; Alfaro, M.; Vargas, M.; Gutierrez, S.; Ternero, R.; Sabattin, J. (2020). "Conceptual Framework for the Strategic Management: A Literature Review—Descriptive". Journal of Engineering, 1–21.
- Al-Alawi, A. I., Abdulmohsen, M., & Al-Malki, F. M. (2019). "Investigating the Barriers to Change Management in Public Sector Educational Institutions". International Journal of Educational Management, 33(1), 112-148.
- Faridi, M., Moghimi, M., Vafai Pouya, P., & Alizadeh, Y. (2019). "Investigating the Impact of Motivational Factors on the Effectiveness of Line Staff of Traffic Police Affiliate to Great Tehran's Police Command". Traffic Management Studies Quarterly of Traffic police Faculty, 1397(51), 173-193. (In Persian)
- Odongo, N.H.(2020), "Performance management perception in Kenya". Social Responsibility Journal, Vol. ahead-of-print No. ahead-of-print. https://doi.org/10.1108/SRJ-01-2020-0019.
- Sayyadi, M. (2019). "How effective leadership of knowledge management impacts organizational performance". Business Information Review, 36(1) 30–38.
- Zarewa, G. (2019). "Barriers to Effective Stakeholder Management in the Delivery of Multifarious Infrastructure Projects (MIPs)". Journal of Engineering Project and Production Management9(2):85-96.
- Lorincová, S., Štarchoň, P., Weberová, D., Hitka, M., & Lipoldová, M. (2019). "Employee Motivation as a Tool to Achieve Sustainability of Business Processes". Sustainability, 11(13), 3509-3704.
- Stachova, K., Stacho, Z., Blstakova, J., Hlatká, M., & Kapustina, L.M. (2018). "Motivation of employees for creativity as a form of support to manage innovation processes in transportation-logistics companies". Nase More, 65, 180–186.
- Cieślikowski, K., & Brusokas, A. (2017). "Determinants of effective management in the sport with the use of large sport arenas in selected cities". European Journal of Service Management, 21(1), 5–10.
- Anwar, P. M., & Budi, I. (2018). "The influence of job satisfaction and motivation on the employee performance at PT. Era Media Informasi". International Conference on Design, Engineering and Computer Sciences, Jakarta, Indonesia. doi:10.1088/1757-899X/453/1/012064
- Ozaralli, N. (2015), "Linking empowering leader to creativity: the moderating role of psychological (felt) empowerment". Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 181, 366-376.
- Aibaghi Esfahani, S., Hasani, A. A., & Hosseini Nia, S. R. (2018). "Effect of Green HRM on Firm Sustainability at General Administration of Youth and Sport in North Khorasan Province". Journal of Human Resource Management in Sport, 5(2), 309-328. (In Persian)
- Nikaein, S., Taabodi, M., & Vare, M. (2016). "The Relation between Managers’ Skills and Human Resources Performance Assessment in Different Management Levels". Journal of New Approaches in Educational Administration, 7(26), 76-94. (In Persian)
- Vathanophas, V., & Thai-ngam, J. (2007). "Competency requirements for effective job performance in the Thai Public Sector". Contemporary Management Research, 3(1), 45-70.
- Kaçmaza, R., & Serinkan, c. (2014). "Human resource management practices in international sebat educational schools". Social and Behavioral Sciences, 116, 4809-4813.
- Noudehi, M., Dousti, M., Razavi, S. M. H., & Kalateh Seifari, M. (2017). "Human Resource Development Indicators for the Iranian Judo Federation". Aassjournal, 5 (3), 95-102.