Document Type : Research Paper
PhD Student in Sports Management, Department of Sport Sciences, Gorgan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Gorgan, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Education, Faculty of Humanities, Islamic Azad University, Gorgan Branch, Gorgan, Iran
Associate Professor, Gorgan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Gorgan, Iran
The purpose of this study was to design a model for the development of sport digital economy in Iran. This research was a qualitative research in terms of data collection method, which was conducted by grounded theory method and systematic approach of Strauss and Corbin, and a semi-structured qualitative interview was used to collect data. The statistical population of the study included the scientific and executive elites who had experience in the fields of economics, technology, IT, e-commerce, digital businesses and digital economy and a total of 21 interviews were conducted. For data analysis, three stages of open, axial and selective coding were used as 140 open codes were obtained and in five categories of causal conditions, contextual, intervening, strategies and consequences of digital economy development in sports were classified. The development of access to computers and the Internet, the commercialization of sports, the growth of e-commerce and digital technologies were among the drivers of the development of the digital economy in sports. Due to the fact that today the market environment has changed from its traditional form to digitalization, therefore, organizations, federations and sports clubs and sports-related jobs must adapt to these changes and design their strategy for digitizing their processes, services, and activities.
- Bukht, R. & Heeks, R. Defining, conceptualizing and measuring the digital economy. Development Informatics working paper, 2017, 68.
- Atkinson, RD & Mckay, AS. Understanding the economic benefits of the information technology revolution. The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF), 2007.
- Heavin, C., & Power, D. J. Challenges for digital transformation–towards a conceptual decision support guide for managers. Journal of Decision Systems, 2018, 27.sup1: 38-45.
- Dima, T. Social media usage in European clubs football industry: Is digital reach better correlated with sports or financial performance. The Romanian Economic Journal, 2015, 55: 117-128.
- Alizadeh, P. Digital Economy 2: The share of digital economy in the global economy and its development requirements. Islamic Parliament Research Center of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 2019 (in Persian).
- Mohamadi, M. Digital Economy: A New Paradigm of Value Creation and New Business Models. Danesh Bonyan Fanavar Publication, 2019 (in Persian).
- Baena, V. Online and mobile marketing strategies as drivers of brand love in sports teams. International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship, 2016.
- Bayne, K. S., & Cianfrone, B. A. The effectiveness of social media marketing: The impact of Facebook status updates on a campus recreation event. Recreational Sports Journal, 2013, 37.2: 147-159.
- Farid Fathi, A. Evaluating the quality of the websites of selected sports federations. Journal of research in sport management, 2012, 1(4): 17-36 (in Persian).
- Parvin, N., Farahani, A., Parvin, N., Ebrahim Hesari, S. Quality Assessment Website of the Ministry of Sport and Youth using Analytical Hierarchy Process. Communication Management in Sport Media, 2017; 4(4): 63-71 (in Persian).
- Taherikia, M., Khorshidi, R., Akbari Yazdi, H. Evaluating the Quality of Sports Websites Using WEBQUAL Approach and QFD Technique. Sport Management and Development, 2019; 8(1): 48-62 (in Persian).
- Mizany, M., Rahimizadeh, M., Sajjadi, S. Interaction with fans through club website as a marketing tool: study and comparison of professional football clubs of Iran, Asia and Europe. Sport Management Studies, 2014; 6(23): 79-102 (in Persian).
- Heidari, L., Sharifian, E. Comparative Study of Web-based Marketing of Football Clubs in Iran, England & Greece. Sport Management Studies, 2014; 6(23): 131-146 (in Persian).
- Beigomi, Z., Hamidi, M., Khabiri, M. Internet Marketing in Football Clubs: Assessing the Quality of Successful Football Club Websites in Iran and Europe. Sport Management Studies, 2016; 7(34): 155-176 (in Persian).
- Askarian, F., Lotfi, K.H. & Yamchi, S. Investigating the Technical and Non-Technical Limitations of Electronic Commerce of Sporting Goods (Case Study: East Azerbaijan Province). Journal of Sport Management and Motor Behavior, 2016; 12(24): 95-106 (in Persian).
- Rahimizadeh M, Sajadi S N, Goodarzi M, Jalali Farahani M. A 3-Dimensional Model of E-Commerce Development Challenges in the Sport Industry in Iran. 3. 2018; 6 (20): 9-20 (in Persian).
- Creswell, J. W. Qualitative Inquiry & Research Design Choosing Among Five Approaches. Sage Publications. Thousand Oaks, CA, 2007.
- Maleki R, Salahi A, Mohamad Nia E, Keymasi K. The influential factors on the quality of electronic service in sport from Esteghlal club fans point of view. JRSM. 2016; 5 (10): 83-94 (in Persian).
- Shariati Feizabadi, M. The effects of the economic sanctions of the United States on the sport of Islamic Republic of Iran. Political Knowledge, 2020; 16(1): 219-246 (in Persian).
- Ghasemi, R., javadipour, M., torkfar, A. Identifying Sport Marketing Barriers in Iran from Sport Managers’ Perspectives. Journal of Sport Management, 2016; 7(6): 829-846 (in Persian).
- Jesmani, M., Rashid Lamir, A., Gharekhani, H., Dehghan Ghahfarokhi, A. Identifying and Prioritizing Economic and managerial Barriers for Championship Sport in Zanjan Province. Sport Physiology & Management Investigations, 2019; 10(4): 101-110.
- Mohammadi, S., Noorayi, T., Sharifian, E. Presentation of Structural equations model factors affecting Development of Purchasing Sport goods via Internet. Applied Research in Sport Management, 2016; 4(4): 43-54 (in Persian).
- Askarian, F. & Jafari, A. A study of the international exchanges of Iranian sports goods in 1998 and 2001. Olympic Journal, 2007, 15(4): 97-103 (in Persian).
- Heydari, R., Dehghan Ghahfarokhi, A., Alidoust ghahfarokhi, E. Comparison of marketing mix of domestic and foreign sports apparel brands. Journal of motor and behavioral sciences, 2019; 2(4): 283-298 (in Persian).
- Berthon, P., Pitt, L., & Watson, R. T. The World Wide Web as an advertising
medium: Toward an understanding of conversion efficiency. Journal of
Advertising Research. 1996; 36(1): PP.43-54.
- Mohammadi, S., Esmaeeli, N., & Salehi, N. Assessment of information
technology literacy status in Iran's sports organizations. First National Conference on Physical Education and Sport Sciences. 2012 (in Persian).
- Motallebi N, Davoodzadeh K, Borjalilu S, Kashanimovahhed B, Anbari M. The Influential Aspects of Cyberspace in Promotion of Sports, Asian J Sports Med. 2018; 9 (3): 624-627.
- Sobhani, Y., Honari, H., Shahlai, J., Ahmadi, A. The Relationship between Information Technology and Knowledge Management in Sports Federations. Journal of Sport Management, 2013; 5(2): 55-73 (in Persian).
- Gilmore, A. Gallagher, D. & Henry, S. E‐marketing and SMEs: operational lessons for the future. European Business Review, 2007, 19 (3): 234-242.
- Ha, J. P., Kang, S. J., & Ha, J. A conceptual framework for the adoption of smartphones in a sports context. International Journal of Sports Marketing & Sponsorship, 2015, 16 (3): 161-180.
- Zohrabi, F., Saboonchi, R. The role of the Internet in the development of economic strategies for championship sports. 6th national student conference in physical education and sport sciences, Tehran, 2011 (in Persian).