Document Type : Research Paper
PhD Student in Sport Marketing Management, University of Kurdistan, Sanandaj, Iran
Associated professor, Department of Physical Education and Sports Science, University of Kurdistan, Sanandaj, Iran
Associated professor, Faculty of physical education and sport sciences, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
The purpose of the present study was to investigate the role of rationale and emotional advertising appeals related to sport in the park on brainwave changes of people with using quantitative electroencephalography (QEEG). The present study was practical and semi-experimental. The statistical population of the present study was the citizens of Isfahan city who have not yet visited the parks for sports activities. People in the age range of 25 to 35 years and 24 people (12 women and 12 men) were selected as the sample. Sample brainwaves were recorded in two stages: pre-test (observation of white screen) and post-test (observation of rational and emotional Ads). QEEG device were used for recording and coding sample brainwaves, and descriptive and inferential statistics (Wilcoxon test) were used for data analysis with SPSS software. The results showed that the brainwaves decreased in the post-test phase (observation of rational and emotional Ads) compared to the pre-test phase (white screen observation), which this reduction was greater when viewing emotional Ads. Since the decrease in alpha waves indicates an increase in attention and cognitive load, Officials of sport for all, especially sport in Isfahan city parks are suggested to use advertising appeals, especially emotional advertising appeals, in order to stimulate and persuasion of the citizens to engage in sport for all and physical activity in the parks.
- 1. Pate RR, Hillman CH, Janz KF, Katzmarzyk PT, Powell KE, Torres A, et al. Physical activity and health in children younger than 6 years: a systematic review. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2019;51(6):1282-91.
- Colom A, Fiol M, Ruiz M, Compa M, Morey M, Moñino M, et al. Association between access to public open spaces and physical activity in a mediterranean population at high cardiovascular risk. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2018;15(6):1285- 96.
- Blomqvist M, Ivarsson A, Carlsson I-M, Sandgren A, Jormfeldt H. Relationship between physical activity and health outcomes in persons with psychotic disorders after participation in a two-year individualized lifestyle intervention. 2020. 128-51
- Mertens L, Van Cauwenberg J, Veitch J, Deforche B, Van Dyck D. Differences in park characteristic preferences for visitation and physical activity among adolescents: A latent class analysis. PloS one. 2019;14(3). 187-205
- Camargo DM, Ramírez PC, Quiroga V, Ríos P, Férmino RC, Sarmiento OL. Physical activity in public parks of high and low socioeconomic status in Colombia using observational methods. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 2018;15(8):581-91.
- Zangiabadi A, Noori M. A Comparative Analysis Of Urban Furniture Urban Parks Within The Metropolitan Views Of Citizens (Case Study: City Of Isfahan). 2015. 21-48 (in Persian).
- Home R, Hunziker M, Bauer N. Psychosocial outcomes as motivations for visiting nearby urban green spaces. Leisure Sciences. 2012;34(4):350-65.
- Schirpke U, Scolozzi R, Da Re R, Masiero M, Pellegrino D, Marino D. Recreational ecosystem services in protected areas: A survey of visitors to Natura 2000 sites in Italy. Journal of outdoor recreation and tourism. 2018;21:39-50.
9.Dai P, Zhang S, Hou H, Yang Y, Liu R. Valuing sports services in urban parks: A new model based on social network data. Ecosystem services. 2019;36:100-191.
- Dadvand P, Bartoll X, Basagaña X, Dalmau-Bueno A, Martinez D, Ambros A, et al. Green spaces and general health: roles of mental health status, social support, and physical activity. Environment international. 2016;91:161-7.
- Fathi F, Saiadi M, Seyed Am. Needs Assessment Of Urmia Citizens To Sport For All. 2015. 36-47. (in Persian).
- Byrka K, Ryczko N. Positive effects of dancing in natural versus indoor settings: The mediating role of engagement in physical activity. Journal of Environmental Psychology. 2018;57:25-33.
- Hartig T, Evans GW, Jamner LD, Davis DS, Gärling T. Tracking restoration in natural and urban field settings. Journal of environmental psychology. 2003;23(2):109-23.
- Moharam Zadeh M, Mohamadi M, Sayadi MA, Vahdani M. Analysis of influencing factors on health ways usage in different points of Urmia city (with emphasis on using of body fitness units in parks). 2016. 31-55 (in Persian).
15 . Seyed AM, Mohammad Ag. Determining techniques to attract and increase citizen, s participation in sport for all and recreational sport programs (evidence from Urmia). 2013. 20-34 (in Persian).
- Salehi L, Taghdisi M, Ghasemi H, Shokervash B. To identify the facilitator and barrier factors of physical activity among elderly people in Tehran. Iranian Journal of Epidemiology. 2010;6(2):7-15. (in Persian).
- Delaredtaghi AA, Safania A, Delarestaghi AA. The Criteria to Design Sports Furniture in Sports–based Theme Parks. Sport Management and Developement20. p. 221-40. (in Persian).
- Lin L-Y. The impact of advertising appeals and advertising spokespersons on advertising attitudes and purchase intentions. African Journal of Business Management. 2011;5(21):8446-57.
- Rice RE, Atkin CK. Public communication campaigns. SAGE publications; 2012. 148-169.
- Rotfeld HJ. Misplaced Marketing the Social Harm of Public Service Advertising. Journal of Consumer Marketing. 2002 Nov 1.
- McKay-Nesbitt J, Manchanda RV, Smith MC, Huhmann BA. Effects of age, need for cognition, and affective intensity on advertising effectiveness. Journal of Business Research. 2011;64(1):12-7.
- Lutz RJ, MacKenzie SB, Belch GE. Attitude toward the ad as a mediator of advertising effectiveness: Determinants and consequences. ACR North American Advances. 1983. 136-59
- He Q, Qu H. The Impact of Advertising Appeals on Purchase Intention in Social Media Environment——Analysis of Intermediary Effect Based on Brand Attitude. Journal of Business Administration Research https://doi org/105430/jbar vn2p17. 2018. 18-39
- Teichert T, Hardeck D, Liu Y, Trivedi R. How to implement informational and emotional appeals in print advertisements: A framework for choosing ad appeals based on advertisers' objectives and targeted demographics. Journal of Advertising Research. 2018;58(3):363-79.
- Keshari P, Jain S. Effect of age and gender on consumer response to advertising appeals. Paradigm. 2016;20(1):69-82.
- Lin Y-C, Lee Y-C, Lin N-T. The effect of advertising using advertising appeals, pictures and product categories. Journal of Statistics and Management Systems. 2014;17(1):71-96.
- Drolet A, Aaker J. Off‐target? Changing cognitive‐based attitudes. Journal of Consumer Psychology. 2002;12(1):59-68.
- Zhang H, Sun J, Liu F, Knight JG. Be rational or be emotional: advertising appeals, service types and consumer responses. European Journal of Marketing. 2014. 123-52.
- Jang W, Ko YJ, Stepchenkova S. The effects of message appeal on consumer attitude toward sporting events. International Journal of Sport Communication. 2014;7(3):337-56.
- Wei Y, Rickard M, Brown C. Effects of consumer weight level and advertising appeals on consumer attitude toward food and advertisements. Journal of Food Products Marketing. 2015;21(4):426-41.
- Zarantonello L, Schmitt BH, Jedidi K. How to advertise and build brand knowledge globally: Comparing television advertising appeals across developed and emerging economies. Journal of Advertising Research. 2014;54(4):420-34.
- Lwin M, Phau I, Huang Y-A, Lim A. Examining the moderating role of rational-versus emotional-focused websites: The case of boutique hotels. Journal of Vacation Marketing. 2014;20(2):95-109.
- Okazaki S, Mueller B, Diehl S. A multi-country examination of hard-sell and soft-sell advertising: comparing global consumer positioning in holistic-and analytic-thinking cultures. Journal of Advertising Research. 2013;53(3):258-72.
- De Veirman M, Hudders L, Cauberghe V, editors. Facts versus feelings? The effectiveness of hard versus soft sell appeals in online advertising. EMAC 2015; 2015. 18-39
- Huertas MKZ, Campomar MC. Rational and emotional appeals in advertising of prescription medicines: study of a slimming drug in Brazil. Innovative Marketing. 2009;5(4):80-8.
- Lim C, Lee W-Y, Pedersen PM. Investigating the moderating role of sport service type and personality on audiences' emotional responses to hedonic vs. cognitive advertisements. Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science. 2013;23(1):55-71.
- Behnam M, Tousi T. An Analysis Of Relationship Between Arousal, Pleasure, Attitude Toward Advertisements, Consumers’future Intention In Sport Service (University Of Tehrans’students Case Study). 2014. 24-41
- Wang CL. Gender differences in responding to sad emotional appeal: A moderated mediation explanation. Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing. 2008;19(1):55-70.
- Bargh JA, Schwader KL, Hailey SE, Dyer RL, Boothby EJ. Automaticity in social-cognitive processes. Trends in cognitive sciences. 2012;16(12):593-605.
- Eser Z, Isin FB, Tolon M. Perceptions of marketing academics, neurologists, and marketing professionals about neuromarketing. Journal of Marketing Management. 2011;27(7-8):854-68.
- Chark R. Neuromarketing. Innovative Research Methodologies in Management: Springer; 2018. p. 179-98.
- Suomala J. Benefits of Neuromarketing in the Product/Service Innovation Process and Creative Marketing Campaign. Innovative Research Methodologies in Management: Springer; 2018. p. 159-77.
- Morin C, Renvoisé P. The persuasion code: how neuromarketing can help you persuade anyone, anywhere, anytime: John Wiley & Sons; 2018. 148-69.
- Guerreiro J, Rita P, Trigueiros D. Attention, emotions and cause-related marketing effectiveness. European Journal of Marketing. 2015. 29-56.
- Warner S. Cheat sheet for neurofeedback. Website Article, January. 2013. 1369-89
- Telpaz A Webb R, Levy DJ. Using EEG to predict consumers’ future choices. Journal of Marketing Research. 2015;52(4):511-29.
- Baumeister RF, Vohs KD. Self‐Regulation, ego depletion, and motivation. Social and personality psychology compass. 2007;1(1):115-28.
- Venkatraman MP, Marlino D, Kardes FR, Sklar KB. The interactive effects of message appeal and individual differences on information processing and persuasion. Psychology & Marketing. 1990;7(2):85-96.