Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant professor, department of sport management, Kermanshah Branch, Islamic Azad University, Kermanshah, Iran
PhD student in Sports Management, Department of Physical Education and Sports Sciences, Faculty of Humanities, Kurdistan University, Sanandaj, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Sport Management, Kermanshah Branch, Islamic Azad University, Kermanshah, Iran
The purpose of the present study was to identify the social and cultural consequences of success of Muslim female athletes in cross-country sporting events. The research method was qualitative and phenomenological. The study population included athletes with more than 3 years of experience in major sporting events. The sampling method was purposively selected and data were collected with 9 athletes. The data collection tool was a semi-structured interview, and data collection continued until theoretical saturation, meaning that the researcher did not obtain new data and code after the seventh interview, thereby halting the sampling process (7 + 2). Coding method and inductive approach to final themes were used for data analysis. For data analysis, NVivo version 10 was used. The findings showed that the consequences of success were classified into two categories: social consequences and cultural consequences. The results show that one of the consequences of the success of Muslim women in the athlete community is the importance of presence of women in sport and the increasing desire to fill leisure time and pursue professional sport.
- Rahmani Firouzjah, Ali; Sharepour, Mahmoud and Rezaei Pasha, Sedigheh (2011). "Investigating Barriers to Women's Sport: A Case Study of Yazd University Students". Olympic Quarterly, Twelfth Year, No. 7. 32-45.(in Persian)
- Gaine, Abbas Ali. (1) Women, Sports and Culture. Summary of Women's Congress Papers on Dialogue among Civilizations. Islamic Republic of Iran Physical Education Organization Statistics and Documentation Center. (in Persian)
- Khodoboyan Fard, Alireza-Zargar, Tayebeh-Bazari, Farshad (2009). "Identifying the Attitude of Female Athletes towards Hijab in Sport by Q Method" Two Quarterly Journal of Islam and Social Sciences, Issue 1, Spring and Summer 1, pp. 1-6. (in Persian)
- Tojari, Farshad et al. (2015). "The Effect of Different Factors on the Regulation of Sport Behavior of Women Participated in Recreational and Sporting Activities", Research in Sport Science, National Sports Leisure Conference of Tehran Municipality. (in Persian)
- Ehsani, Mohammad et al. (2009). "The Role of Professional Sport in the Development of Muslim Women's Sport", Journal of Research in Sport Science, Vol 22, pp. 153-171. (in Persian)
- Scharenburg, S. (1999) Religion and sport, in J. Riordan and A. Kruger (eds) The International Politics of Sport in Twentieth Century, London: E & FN Spon.
- Penney, Dawn (2002). Genger and physical education; contemporary issues and future directions, Routledge, New York .
- Motemeni, Alireza ؛ Hemmati, Amin and Moradi, Hadi 2014. Identification and Automation of Obstacles to Women in Performing Athletic Exercises. Manatee Athletic Manatee, 22, Mardard & Shahriar. (in Persian)
- Ghaderzadeh, Omid and Hosseini, Sayyed Cheiman. (2015) Women's sport and its implications. Women in Development and Politics, Volume 13, Number 3, Autumn 26-39. (in Persian)
- Mozaffari, Seyed Amir Ahmad; Elahi, Alireza; Abbasi, Courage; Ahadpour, Hengameh and Rezaei, Zeinalabedin. (2012). Strategies for Developing the Iranian Championship Sports System. Journal of Sport Management Studies, 13، 33-48. (in Persian)
- Sharpe, Claire (2004). Badminton player, on combining sport and motherhood. www.makeithappen.com
- Nourbakhsh, Morteza (138). The veil issue, Tehran: Sadra.. (in Persian)
- Beraon &Clarke Demonstrating Rigor Using Thematic Analysis: A Hybrid Approach of Inductive And Deductive Coding And Theme Development", International Journal of Qualitative Methods, Vol. 5, No. 1, Pp. 80-92
- Book Title: An Introduction to Qualitative and Mixed Research Methods: Common Approaches in the Behavioral Sciences. (in Persian)
- Creswell, J. W., & Miller, D. L. (2000). Determining Validity in Qualitative Inquiry", Theory into Practice, 39.
- Metaji, Ali (2012).,”A Study on Gender Differences in Body image Satisfaction, Woman in Development and Politics”, Volume 9, Issue 3. (in persian).
- (2007) Women's sports and their implications. Woman in Development and Politics, Period 13, Number 3, Autumn. (Persian).
- Gaytes, Matthew J. (2011), Hijab Opponents, Spectator of Journal, 28-JUN-08. Online
- Golten Wilde,Gora K (1991), " Woman in sport: Gender Stereotypes in the pastand present"www.athletic woman.com.
- Docasta, f. & Lamartina P.L.(2002)."The sexualisation of sport : A gender analysis of Swedish elite sport from 1967 to the present day " .European Journal of Women s Studies, Vol. 18, No.3.
- Holzwheher , F (2002). “Sport for all a social change and fitness development”. Insitute of sport science. Vienna University; Austria.
- Bayat, Asef, (2007), Comparative studies of south Asia, Africa and the Middle Journal information. Vol. 27. 2007. pp. 160-172.
- Women's Sports Foundation (2004) Women's sports & fitness fact & http://www.womenssportsfoundation.org/cgi-bin/iowa/
- Robinson, T., B. Gustafson, & M. Popovich. (2008), Perceptions of Negative Stereotypes of Older People in Magazine Advertisements: Comparing the Perceptions of Older Adults and College Students. Ageing & Society, 28, 233-251.
- Shawgo, Kaitlin. (2007), Decision to Wear Hijab Complicated for some Indiana University Students. The America's Intelligence Wire. 18-JAN-07. online.
- Smith, Matthew J. (2008), Hijab Opponents, Spectator of Journal, 28-JUN-08. Online
- Kermanshahian, M. Lebin, (1998), Tendency to Hijab and its Impression among Students of Islamic Azad State and Azad Universities and its Causes and Sociological Factors, MSc in Social Sciences, Al-Zahra University.
- Office of Social Studies and Research, Office of Social Affairs, (1371), Investigating the Disintegration of Some Tehrani Women in Observance of Islamic Coverage, Research Project, Tehran Governorate.
- Habibzadeh, Ramin, (2005), Studying Different Types of Religion among Students, Master of Science Degree in Sociology, University of Humanities, Tarbiat Modares University.
- Hosseini Doost, Seyed Morteza, (2001), Studying Attitude of Allameh Tabataba'i University Students towards Women's Coverage and Social Factors Affecting it, Masters Thesis in Sociology, Faculty of Social Sciences, Allameh Tabatabai University.