Document Type : Research Paper
Ph.D. of sport management, faculty of physical education and sport sciences, university of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Associate Professor of sport management, faculty of physical education and sport sciences, university of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Today, the football players' transfer market is internationalized. The purpose of this study was to identify the indices of the international transfer market for Iranian footballers through qualitative research method and using the theme analysis. The statistic population was consisted of transferred players, the managers of the clubs that players were transferred during their management, Presidents and Secretaries of the current and former Football Federation, agents of players, Academic members with simultaneous marketing and football expertise, Faculty members with simultaneous expertise in marketing and football, Senior managers of sport, And sampling was unpredictable in both targeted and snowball mode.This study lasted for 10 months (January 2016 to December 2016 or Persian date from Bahman 1394 to Azar 1395). The results of the study led to the identification of 62 indicators in six main themes, namely, the role of the of the technical performance of the player, the role of the player's non-technical factors, the role of the national federation, the role of the club, the role of the government and the role of the player's agent in the international transfer market for Iranian footballers. At the end, the findings of this study can be used as a criterion to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the dimensions of the international football transfer market.
- András K. Business elements in sports, through example of football. Ph.D. Dissertation, Budapest University of Economics Sciences and Public Administration. 2003.
- Andreff W, Staudohar PD. The Evolving European Model of Professional Sports Finance. Journal of sport economics, 2000; 1(3): 257–276.
- Arai A, Ko Y, Kaplanidou K. Athlete Brand Image: Scale Development and Model Test. European Sport Management Quarterly. 2013; 13: 383-403.
- Baziari E, Amirtash A. Appointment of managers with meritocracy criteria in the Physical Education Organization of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Journal of Motor Science and Sports. 2013; 7 (4): 1-10 [In Persian].
- Bryson A, Frick B, Rob SR. The Returns to Scarce Talent: Footedness and Player Remuneration in European Soccer. Journal of Sports Economics. 2012; 000(00) 1-23.
- Chan M. 9 Factors to Determine a Football Players Transfer Value – Comparison to US Sports. Arsenal Review. 2014.
- Carmichael F, Thomas D. Bargaining in the transfer market: theory and evidence. Applied Economics. 1993; 25: 1467-1476.
- Carmichael F, Forrest D, Simmons R. The labour market in association football: who gets transferred and for how much? Bulletin of Economic Research. 1999; 51(2): 125-150.
- Creswell JW. Research design: qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approach. Washington DC: SAGE Publications Inc.2013.
- Damo AS. Training soccer players in Brazil. Soccer & Society. 2014; 15(1): 93–107.
- Darby P, Akindes G, Kirwin M. Football Academies and the Migration of African Football Labor to Europe. Journal of Sport & Social Issues. 2007; 31 (2): 143-161.
- Darby P. Gains versus Drains: Football Academies and the Export of Highly Skilled Football Labor. Brown Journal of World Affairs. 2012; 18 (2): 265-277.
- Darby P. Moving players, traversing perspectives: Global value chains, production networks and Ghanaian football labour migration. Geoforum . 2013; 50: 43–53.
- Dobson S, Goddard J. The economics of football. Second edition, Cambridge university press. 2011.
- Dolles H, Söderman S. Twenty years of development of the J-League: analyzing the business parameters of professional football in Japan. Soccer & Society. 2013; 14 (5): 702-721.
- Ferreira P, Loures L, Rato NJ, Dionísio, A. The behaviour of share returns of football clubs: An econophysics approach. Statistical Mechanics and its Applications. 2017; 47 (15): 136-144.
- Fløtnes TG. Factors of success for Norwegian top football clubs. Master Thesis, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark. 2011.
- Fornalik JA. Players' Agents' Role in Football Transfer Market: Evaluating the. Need of Improving FIFA Regulations. Chicago-Kent College of Law, Entertainment Law Seminar.2013.
- Franck F, Nuesch, S. Talent and/or popularity: what does it take to be a superstar? Economic Inquiry. 2012; 50(1): 202–216.
- Gulbrandsen AM, Gulbrandsen CM. Valuation: A Complete Pricing Framework. Unpublished Master thesis. 2011.
- Hadley L, Poitras M, Ruggiero J, Knowles S. Performance Evaluation of National Football League Teams,managerial and decision economics. 2000; 21: 63–70.
- Herberger TA, Wedlich F. What Athletic Characteristics Determine Professional Football Players’ Market Values: A Crowdsourced Valuation? 2016; 16.
- Lehman E, Schulze G. What does it take to be a star? The role of performance and the media for German Soccer Players. Mimeo, Department of Economics and Management, University of Augsburg. 2005.
- McClelland D. The Need for Power, Sympathetic Activation and Illness. Motivation and Emotion. 1982; 6(1): 31-41.
- McGovern P. Globalization or internationalization? Foreign footballers in the English League, 1946–95. Sociology. 2002; 36(1): 23–42.
- Mohammadi K, Ahmadi K, Fathi A, Azad Fallah P, Ebadi A. Mental Health Indicators: Development of Mental Health Indicators in Iran". Journal of Education, Health and Health Promotion. 2013; 2(1): 37-48 [In Persian].
- Müller O, Simons A, Weinmann M. Beyond crowd judgments: Data-driven estimation of market value in association football. European Journal of Operational Research. 2017; 263 (2): 611-624.
- Oprean VB, Oprisor T. Accounting for soccer players: capitalization paradigm vs. expenditure. Procedia Economics and Finance. 2014; 15: 1647 – 1654.
- Pedersen DM. Perceived relative importance of psychological and physical factors in successful athletic performance. Percept Mot Skills. 2000; 90: 283-290.
- Poli R, Rossi G, Besson B. Football agents in the biggest five European football market: an empirical research report. CIES football observatory. 2012.
- Poli R, Ravenel L, Besson R. Transfer expenditure and results. CIES Football Observatory Monthly Report 2015; 3 March.
- Proni MW, Zaia FH. Financial condition of Brazilian soccer clubs: an overview. Soccer & Society. 2014; 15(1); 108-122.
- Rachid Kalla, A. Analysis of variables which determine football player's market value. Economics Senior Thesis. 2015.
- Rey FB. Are Footballers worth It? Frontier Economics. 2014.
- Rohde M, Breuer C. Europe’s Elite Football: Financial Growth, Sporting Success, Transfer Investment, and Private Majority Investors. International Journal of Financial Studies. 2016; 12(4):1-21.
- Rosca V. The Financial Contribution of International Footballer Trading to the Romanian Football League and to the National Economy. Theoretical and Applied Economics. 2012; 4:145-166.
- Ruijg J, van Ophem H. Determinants of football transfers. Applied Economics Letters. 2015; 22(1): 12-19.
- Spieler MJ. Predicting Starting Status: Factors Contributing to the Success of Collegiate Football Players. Master thesis. Georgia Southern University. 2006.
- Storm RK. The rational emotions of FC København: a lesson on generating profit in professional soccer. Soccer & Society. 2009; 10(3): 459-476.
- Straus A, Corbin J. Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory. Third Edition, Los Angeles: Sage Publications. 2008.
- Taherpur H, Memarzadeh G. Factors Affecting the Successful Implementation of Tax Policies Adopted by Parliament. Economic Research Journal. 2008; 4: 45-68 [In Persian].
- Tamnaeifar M, Lais H, Mansoori A. The Relationship between Perceived Social Support and Student Self-Efficacy". Journal of Social Psychology. 2013; 28 (8): 39-31 [In Persian].
- Tavana M, Azizi F, Azizi.F, Majid B. A fuzzy inference system with application to player selection and team formation in multi-player sports. Sport Management Review. 2013: 16, 97–110.
- Yuan H. Predicting Market Value of Soccer Players Using Linear Modeling Techniques. Discussion paper.2013.
- Zaimi R. The relationship between fitness indicators and the ability to repeat sprints in male soccer players. Unpublished master's thesis, Faculty of Science and Education, Shiraz University. 2012 [In Persian].
- Zali N, Zali R. Study of stability and stability in regional development management in 2005-2006: A case study of senior managers of development management in East Azerbaijan province. Development Management Process. 2010; 73: 84-108 [In Persian].