Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant Professor, Sport Management, University of Applied Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran
Associate Professor, Sport Management, Physical Education Faculty, Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran
This study aimed to provide a measurement model to determine the purchasing decision styles of sportswear consumers. A descriptive- survey method was used. Data of 508 sportswear consumers in Tehran city were collected by a questionnaire developed by a qualitative study including 69 items to evaluate 19 purchasing decision styles. Data were analyzed by second order confirmatory factor analysis. The initial factor analysis model was tested. As the factor loading of some decision items and styles were not significant, the primary model was modified and retested. The modified model confirmed by 16 styles and 56 items. Then, after composite reliability, convergent validity and discriminant validity, 15 styles and 53 items were confirmed in the model. These styles include convenient access, quality-oriented, enjoyment-oriented, price sensitivity (expensive-efficient), assurance seeking, diversity-oriented, respect-oriented, fashion-oriented, brand-oriented (brand loyalty and brand attention), sensuality, luxury-oriented, searcher, and effectiveness. In general, the results showed more variety and diversity of purchasing styles of sport consumers than consumers of other products.
- Pitts, B.G. & Stotler, D.K. (2007). “Fundamentals of Sport marketing”. Fitness Information Technology: USA. p. 7.
- Kotler, P. & Keller, L.K. (2013). “Marketing Management”. 13th edition, Prentice-Hall India. Pp. 178-212.
- Sproles, G.B. & Kendall, E. L. (1986). “A Methodology for Profiling Consumer Decision-Making Styles”. The Journal of Consumer Affairs, 20(2), 267-79.
- Walsh, G., Hennig-Thurau, T., Wayne-Mitchell, V., & Wiedmann, K. P. (2001). “Consumers' decision-making style as a basis for market segmentation”. Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing, 10(2), 117-131.
- Sproles, G.B. (1985). “From perfectionism to faddism: Measuring consumers’ decision-making styles”. In Proceedings, American Council on Consumer Interests (Vol. 31, pp. 79-85). Columbia, MO: ACCI.
- Lysonski, S., Durvasula, S. & Zotos, Y. (1996). “Consumer Decision- making Styles: A Multicountry Investigation”. European Journal of Marketing, 30 (12), 10-21.
- Tarnanidis, T., Owusu-Frimpong, N., Nwankwo, S., & Omar, M. (2015). “A confirmatory factor analysis of consumer styles inventory: Evidence from Greece”. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 22, 164-177.
- Tanksale, D., Neelam, N. & Venkatachalam, R. (2014). “Consumer decision making styles of young adult consumers in India”. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 133, 211-218.
- Mishra, A.A. (2010). “Consumer Decision-Making Styles and Young-Adult Consumers: An Indian Exploration”. Management and Marketing Journal, 8 (2), 229-246.
- Batool, S., Ahmed, M.A., Umer, M. and Zahid, Z. (2015). “Impact of Consumer innovativeness on shopping styles; A Case of Pakistan”. International Journal of Business and Management Invention, 4(2):19-28.
- Rezaei, S. (2015). “Segmenting consumer decision-making styles (CDMS) toward marketing practice: A partial least squares (PLS) path modeling approach”. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 22, 1–15.
- Delkhoah, J., Amooei, I. & Moghadam, A.V. (2014). To identify the customer purchase decision making styles in chain stores (case study: branches of Etka chain stores in Tehran), Modern Marketing Researches, 2(13), 141-154. [Persian].
- Azizi, S. & Makkizadeh, V. (2012). “Consumer decision-making style: the case of Iranian young consumers”. Journal of Management research, 4(2), 88-111.
- Jzani, N., Azizi, S. & Halvaei, A.A. (2010). Consumer decision Making Styles according Sproles and Kendal Model. Business Administration Outlook, 3(36), 9-24. [Persian]
- Bae, S. & Miller, J. (2009). “Consumer decision-making styles for sport apparel: Gender comparisons between college consumers”. Journal of Research, 4(1), 40-45.
- Jahandideh, M.A., Hosseini, S.E. & Ramezani-Nezhad, R. (2014). Investigating Consumers of Sporting Goods Decision Making Styles’ (Shiraz Case Study). Contemporary research in sport management, 5(10), 37-45. [Persian]
- Torabi-Nahad, F. (2012). Investigating Factors affecting consumer purchase decisions for sporting Goods by using Sproles and Kendall Model. MA theses, Tabriz university. [Persian]
- Bae, S., Lam, E.T. & Jackson, E. N. (2009). “Development of the purchaser style inventory for sport products (PSISP)”. International Journal of Sport Management, 10, 151-168.
- McCracken, G. (1989). “Who is the celebrity endorser? Cultural foundations of the endorsement process”. Journal of consumer research, 16(3), 310-321.
- Brooks, C.M. & Harris, K.K. (1998). “Celebrity athlete endorsement: An overview of the key theoretical issues”. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 72(2), 34-44.
- Bearden, B., Ingram, T. & LaForge, B. (1998). “Marketing: Principle & perspectives (2nd ed)”. Boston, MS: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. p. 123.
- Bae, J., Lu-Anderson, D., Fujimoto, J., & Richelieu, A. (2015). “East Asian college consumer decision-making styles for sport products”. Sport, Business and Management: An International Journal, 5(3), 259-275.
- Mehta, R., & Dixit, G. (2016). “Consumer decision making styles in developed and developing markets: A cross-country comparison”. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 33, 202-208.
- Hafstorm, J.L., Chae, J.S. & Chung, Y.S. (1992). “Consumer Decision-making Styles: Comparison between United States and Korean Young Consumer”. The Journal of Consumer Affairs, 26(1), 114-122.
- Leng, C.Y. & Botelho, D. (2010). “How does national culture impact on consumers decision-making styles? A cross cultural study in Brazil, the United States and Japan”. BAR-Brazilian Administration Review, 7(3), 260-275.
- Falahati, M., Elahi, A., & Akbariyazdi, H. (2017). "Purchasing Decision Styles of Sport-wearing Consumers "Journal of sport management studies. 9(45), 155-174. doi: 10.22089/smrj.2018.1088
- Hair Jr, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C., & Sarstedt, M. (2016). “A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM)”. Sage Publications. P. 215.
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). “Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error”. Journal of marketing research, 11, 39-50.
- Fan, J. X., & Xiao, J. J. (1998). “Consumer decision-making styles of young adult Chinese”. The Journal of Consumer Affairs, 32, 275-294.
- Bae, S., Pyun, D.Y. & Lee, S. (2010). “Consumer decision-making styles for Singaporean college consumers: An exploratory study”. The ICHPER-SD Journal of Research in Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport & Dance, 5(2), 70.
- Ghodeswar, B.M. (2011). “Consumer Decision Making Styles among Indian Students”. Alliance Journal of Business Research, 12 (3), 36-48.
- Deepa, T.N., Neelama, N. & Venkatachalam, R. (2014). “Consumer decision making styles of young adult consumers in India”. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 133, 211-218.
- Grewal, D., Baker, J., Levy, M. & Voss, G.B. (2003). “The effects of wait expectations and store atmosphere evaluations on patronage intentions in service-intensive retail stores”. Journal of Retailing, 79(6), 259–26.
- Chen, H.S. & Hsieh, T. (2011). “The effect of atmosphere on customer perceptions and customer behavior responses in chain store supermarkets”. African Journal of Business Management, 5(24), 10054.