Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Management and Accounting, Allameh Tabataba'i University, Tehran, IRAN
Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Education, University of Eyvanekey, Semnan, IRAN
Ph.D. Student in Sport Management, University of Eyvanekey, Semnan, IRAN
Ph.D Student in Sport Management, University of Allameh Tabataba'i University, Tehran, IRAN
The aim of the present study was to develop a model of the relationship between attitudes toward counterfeit products and brand popularity in product products customers. This study was applied in terms of objectives and correlation in terms of data collection. The statistical population consisted of all the customers of sport products in Tehran city. Given the unknown number of research sample, 10,000 ≤ N was considered. Using Morgan table, 384 sport product customers were selected as the sample through simple random sampling method. Standard questionnaires were used to collect data and measure the variables. To analyze the data, descriptive statistics (frequency distribution tables and graphs) and inferential statistics (Pearson correlation and path analysis model) were used to test the research hypotheses. Finally, the results showed that knowing the value, the social effect and the norm of mind had significant positive effects and the price-quality ratio perception, brand loyalty, risk aversion and perceived risk had significant negative effects on the attitude toward counterfeit products. Attitude toward counterfeit products also had a significant positive effect on brand popularity. Also, based on the findings of the study, the effects of personal satisfaction, brand prestige, ethics and brand awareness on attitude toward counterfeit products were not significant. Based on the results of the study, it can be stated that informing the customers about the functional aspects of the main products against the counterfeit products as well as informing advertisements will be effective in introducing the counterfeit products to the individuals and changing their attitude.
- Kapferer JN. Strategic brand management: New approaches to creating and evaluating brand equity. Simon and Schuster; 1994.
- Kotler P, Gertner D. Country as brand, product, and beyond: A place marketing and brand management perspective. Journal of brand management. 2002; 9(4): 249-61.
- Brady MK, Bourdeau BL, Heskel J. The importance of brand cues in intangible service industries: an application to investment services. Journal of services marketing. 2005; 19(6): 401-10.
- Ahuvia AC. I love it! towards a unifying theory of love across diverse love objects (abridged). 1993.
- Carroll BA, Ahuvia AC. Some antecedents and outcomes of brand love. Marketing letters. 2006; 17(2): 79-89.
- Safarzadeh, Hossein-Khairi, Bahram and Aghasid Agha, Reyhaneh. Investigating the effect of contextual factors, brand loyalty, and brand change on young consumers' purchase decisions. Journal of Marketing Management, 2011; 6(10): 94-65. [In Persian].
- Kim AJ, Ko E. Do social media marketing activities enhance customer equity? An empirical study of luxury fashion brand. Journal of Business research. 2012; 65(10): 1480-1486.
- Jalilvand, Mohammad Reza and Ebrahimi, Abolghasem. The Impact of Oral Communication on Purchasing Domestic Cars (Case Study of Samand Car of Iran Khodro Company). Journal of Business Management. 2011; 3 (9): 70-57. (in persian).
- Karimian, yousef. Attitude and attitude change. 11th edition, Tehran: Editing publication. 2014. [In Persian].
- Turkestan, Mohammad Saleh; Dehdashti Shahrokh and Bakhandeh, Qasim. Pattern of factors affecting consumer attitude and intention to buy imported products. Perspective on Business Management, 2015; 22: 67-49. [In Persian].
- Sharma P, Chan RY. Demystifying deliberate counterfeit purchase behaviour: Towards a unified conceptual framework. Marketing Intelligence & Planning. 2016; 34(3): 318-35.
- Mohammadian, Saeed. Factors Influencing Decision Making on Purchasing Original Copy (sunglasses). Master's thesis, Tehran, Allameh Tabataba'i University. 2010. [In Persian].
- Gentry JW, Putrevu S, Shultz CJ. The effects of counterfeiting on consumer search. Journal of Consumer Behaviour: An International Research Review. 2006; 5(3): 245-56.
- Eisend M, Schuchert-Güler P. Explaining counterfeit purchases: A review and preview. Academy of Marketing Science Review. 2006.
- Cordell VV, Wongtada N, Kieschnick Jr RL. Counterfeit purchase intentions: role of lawfulness attitudes and product traits as determinants. Journal of Business Research. 1996; 35(1): 41-53.
- Ang SH, Cheng PS, Lim EA, Tambyah SK. Spot the difference: consumer responses towards counterfeits. Journal of consumer Marketing. 2001.
- Sahin A, Atilgan K. Analyzing factors that drive consumers to purchase counterfeits of luxury branded products. The Journal of American Academy of Business, 2011; 17 (1): 283-292.
- Phau I, Teah M, Lee A. Targeting buyers of counterfeits of luxury brands: A study on attitudes of Singaporean consumers. Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing. 2009;17(1): 3-15.
- De Matos CA, Ituassu CT, Rossi CA. Consumer attitudes toward counterfeits: a review and extension. Journal of consumer Marketing. 2007.
- Farjad Mehr, Mohammad; Farzan, Farzam and Dosti, Morteza. Evaluation of Factors Affecting the Attitude to Counterfeit Products on the Purpose of Buying Basic Sport Shoes Case Study: Students of Mazandaran University, The First National Conference on Modern Management Studies in Iran, Karaj, Allameh Khoi Institute of Higher Education and Asir Higher Education Institute. 2017. [In Persian].
- Doroodi, Esmat. The Impact of Brand Identity and Brand Image on the Popularity of Sportswear Brand from the Perspective of Physical Education Students. M.Sc., Imam Reza International University. 2016. [In Persian].
- Xia ea, chengb kt. the determinants of purchase intention on counterfeit sportswear. journal of applied structural equation modeling. 2017;1 (1):13-26.
- Chiu W, Leng HK. Is That a Nike? The Purchase of Counterfeit Sporting Goods through the Lens of the Theory of Planned Behavior. Choregia. 2015;11(1). 79-94.
- Chiu W, Lee KY, Won D. Consumer behavior toward counterfeit sporting goods. Social Behavior and Personality: an international journal. 2014;42 (4): 615-24.
- Ateşoğlu İ, Erdoğan HH. Hazır giyim işletmelerinde marka taklitçiliğinin işletmeler üzerine etkisi. Tekstil Teknolojileri Elektronik Dergisi. 2009; 3(2): 43-9.
- Sanaei Far, Zahra. Investigating Factors Affecting Attitude and Intent to Buy Sport Alternative Brands (Case Study of Apparel and Shoes). M.Sc., Razi University of Kermanshah. 2017. [In Persian].
- Chen YS, Chang CH. Enhance green purchase intentions: The roles of green perceived value, green perceived risk, and green trust. Management Decision. 2012.
- Fernandes C. Analysis of counterfeit fashion purchase behaviour in UAE. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal. 2013;17(1): 85-97.
- Ahmadi, Ruhollah. Investigating the Factors Affecting Consumers' Intent to Buy Foreign counterfeit luxury brands. 4th International Conference on Management, Economics and Development, Tehran, Kian Pajouheshan Scientific Institute. 2017. (in persian).
- Ansah MO. Non-price factors on consumer counterfeit Products purchase. InProceedings of the 11th International Business Conference, Dar es Salam, Tanzania 2017.
- Bhatia V. Examining consumers’ attitude towards purchase of counterfeit fashion products. Journal of Indian Business Research. 2018;10 (2): 193-207.
- Ebrahimi, Abdolhamid; Jafarzadeh Kanari, Mehdi and Makarani Makarani, Saber. Investigating Factors Affecting Consumer Attitudes and Intentions to Buy Fake Luxury Brands in the Garment Industry (Case: Sari City). Modern Marketing Research Quarterly, 2012; 2 (3): 34-1. [In Persian].
- Forearm, Nadia. Factors Affecting Attitude and Intent to Buy Fake Sporting Goods in Kurdistan Province. M.Sc., Kurdistan University. 2016. [In Persian].
- Hidayat A, Diwasasri AH. Factors influencing attitudes and intention to purchase counterfeit luxury brands among Indonesian consumers. International Journal of Marketing Studies. 2013; 5(4): 143.
- Jafarzadeh Kenari, Mehdi; Bakhshande, Qasim and Ebrahimi, Abdolhamid. The Dual Role of the Consumer Shopping Experience in the Re-Purpose of Luxury Brands Journal of Brand Management, 2015; 2 (3): 39-66. [In Persian].
- Pourashraf, Yasanollah; Askari Nia, Mohammad Hossein and Namdar Juyomi, Ehsan. Investigating the Factors Affecting the Purchase of Fake Luxury Brand Products in the Apparel Industry (Case Study: Isfahan City). First National Conference on Accounting, Auditing and Management, Isfahan, Jami Institute of Higher Education. 2014. [In Persian].
- Razdan, Alemeh and Farhadi Mahalli, Ali. Investigating the Factors Affecting the Attitude and Intent to Buy Counterfeit Luxury Brands among Consumers (Case Study: Bag and Shoe Industry), Third International Conference on Management in the 21st Century, Italy-Rome, Vieira Capital Institute of Managers. 2016. [In Persian].
- Rezapour mahjoob, niloofar. Consumer desire to buy genuine and counterfeit luxury goods; determine the role of luxury brand love (compare Chinese consumers). M.Sc., Green Higher Education Institute. 2017. [In Persian].
- Rizwan M, Ali A, Anjum H, Naseer M, Majeed Z, Ali MA, Anwar A. Consumers purchase intention towards counterfeit mobile phones. Journal of Public Administration and Governance. 2014; 4(3):75-89.
- Taqi Nasab, Hassan. Investigating and prioritizing the factors affecting the selection and fidelity of fake luxury brands. M.Sc., Islamic Azad University, Shahrood Branch. 2017. [In Persian].
- Baba'i, Abuzar and Adhami, Jamal. Investigating the Factors Affecting Consumers' Attitudes and Intentions to Purchase Fake Products in Luxury Brands of Electronic Products "Case Study: Citizens of Sanandaj", International Conference on Accounting and Management, Tehran, Mehr Eshragh Conferences Institute, Tehran University Conferences Center. 2014. [In Persian].