Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant Professor, Department of Sport Management, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Tehran, Tehran, IRAN
Assistant Professor in Business Management, Hazrate Masoumeh University, Qom, IRAN
Associate Professor in Sport Management, College of Farabi, University of Tehran , Qom, IRAN
Professor in Management, College of Farabi, University of Tehran , Qom, IRAN
Lifestyle is a distinctive concept in modern societies. This mixed study aimed to analyze the Iranian elite athletes' lifestyle and offer a typology of their lifestyle. In the qualitative phase, 19 experts familiar with Iranian athletes' lifestyle had unstructured deep interviews; then, lifestyle components were identified using the Glaserian approach of the grounded theory. In the quantitative phase, a questionnaire with 64 items consisting of the codes of lifestyle components was designed and approved by 5 experts. Out of the statistical population (1574 premier league athletes in soccer, futsal, volleyball and basketball), 308 athletes completed the questionnaire by convenience and purposive sampling methods. The model measuring elite athletes’ lifestyle components was tested with confirmatory factor analysis in LISREL8.80 software and was fitted after modification. This model had 10 components: professional thinking, emotional competencies, life vision, financial literacy, responsibility, material consumption, cultural consumption tendencies, leisure, personal issues and religious behaviors. In addition, 5 dominant lifestyles among elite athletes were identified: consumerist, quotidian, beneficent, accountant and professional using cluster analysis in Spss23 software. Characteristics of each lifestyle were discussed by a review of the qualitative and quantitative findings.
- Valizadeh, M.J. (2014). The need to provide a native Iranian Islamic definition of lifestyle. Cultural Engineering. 2014; 75, 55-30. (In Persian).
- Poladi, R. A study of youth lifestyle patterns. Master Thesis in Sociology, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Tehran. 2014; pp. 9-10. (In Persian).
- Giddens, A. Modernity and Self-Identity: Self and Society in the Late Modern Age. John Wiley & Sons. 2013.
- Kaffashi, M. Structural Equation Modeling of Affective Life Style Indices on Social Identity (Case of Study: Students of Islamic Azad University). Journal of Iranian Social Development Studies. 2014; 6(3), 105-120. (In Persian).
- Fazeli, M. An Image of students cultural Lifestyle. Journal of Iranian Cultural Research. 2008; 1(1), 175-198. doi:10.7508/ijcr.2008.01.007. (In Persian).
- Leslie, G. R., Larson, R. F., & Gorman, B. L. Introductory sociology: Oxford University Press. pp. 35-37. 1994.
- Chaney, D. Lifestyles: Routledge, pp. 1-12. 1996.
- Irandoost, S. F., & Ghaderzadeh, O. Qualitative Study of Typology of Lifestyles: Study of the Youth in Mahabad City. Journal of Applied Sociology. 2014; 25(3), 135-161. (In Persian).
- Jalali Farahani, M., & Ali Doost Ghahfarkhi, I. Managing sports events and camps. Tehran, University of Tehran, pp. 41-40. 2012. (In Persian).
- Hesami, Z., Ramazan Khani, A., Sharif Kashani, B., Fallah Tafti, S., Heidari, G. Prevalence of tobacco use and knowledge and attitude towards it in male athletes of Iranian national teams 2008. Hakim. 2011; 13 (2), 120-115. (In Persian).
- Rasooli, S. M., Saatchian, V., & Elahi, A. Prioritization the aspects of athlete's endorsement on costumers purchase intention. Sport Management Studies. 2014; 6(24), 59-74. (In Persian).
- Telama, R., Nupponen, H., & Pieron, M. Physical activity among young people in the context of lifestyle. European physical education review. 2005; 11(2), 115-137.
- Jeffreys, I. Lifestyle Profiling in High School Athletes. Strength & Conditioning Journal. 2006; 28(3), 77-79.
- Ebrahimi, G., & Behnoei, A. Life Style and Its Dimensions among the Youth Studying Boys and Girls in the City of Babolsar. Quarterly of Cultural Studies & Communication. 2010; 6(18), 135-160. (In Persian).
- Soininen, M., & Storm, T. M. The life style of the youth, their everyday life and relationships in Finland. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2010; 2(2), 1665-1669.
- Zare B, Fallah M. The Youth Life Style in Tehran and its Determining Factors. Journal of Iranian Cultural Research. 2013; 5(4):75-105. (In Persian).
- Arai, A., KO, Y. J., & Ross, S. Branding athletes: Exploration and conceptualization of athlete brand image. Sport Management Review. 2014; 17(2), 97-106.
- Danaee Fard, H., Alvani, S. M., & Azar, A. Quantitative research methodology in management: a comprehensive approach. Tehran: Saffar Publication. 2015. (In Persian).
- Artinian, B. M., Giske, T., & Cone, P. H. Glaserian Grounded Theory in Nursing Research: Trusting Emergence: Springer Publishing Company. 2009; pp. 5-25.
- Habibpour, K., Safari, Reza. Comprehensive guide to using Spss. Third Edition, Tehran, Loyeh Publishing. 2012; pp. 745-718. (In Persian).
- Vyncke, P. Lifestyle segmentation from attitudes, interests and opinions, to values, aesthetic styles, life visions and media preferences. European journal of communication. 2002; 17(4), pp. 445-463.
- Moses, M. O., & Oladapo, R. Y. Health and Wellness Lifestyles of Nigerian Women League Football Players. International Journal of Economy, Management and Social Sciences. 2013; 2(11), pp. 939-944.
- Young Journalists Club (2015). What are Ali Daei's businesses? What is the income of Ali Daei's wife? Address: http://www.yjc.ir/fa/news/5856382 Accessed 10/11/2016.
- Tojari F, Moshgelgosha E. Process of Transition from Athletics to Retirement: Charner & Scholssberg Model. Sport Management Studies. 2013; 5(19):63-80. (In Persian).
- Salehi H, Amirpour Najafabadi N, Namazizadeh M. Factors influencing the sports career termination process among retired Iranian athletes. Motor Behavior. 2014; 6(15):113-26. (In Persian).
- Dos Santos, A. L. P., Maressa D'Paula, G., & Bohme, M. T. S. Elite athletes’ perception of retirement support systems. International Journal of Physical Education, Sports and Health. 2016; 3(1), 138-145.