Document Type : Research Paper
Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, University of Tehran
Assistant Professor of Sport Management, SSRI
The aim of this study was to investigate the role of sport and sport diplomacy development in advancing sociocultural policies and foreign relations of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Qualitative research methodology was applied. 20 sport experts who had considerable international and management experiences in the field of sport were selected by purposive sampling method and theoretical saturation. Then the required data were obtained using unstructured exploratory interviews. Different coding methods including open, selective and distinctive were used and the data were analyzed and interpreted in terms of the study aims and questions. The results revealed different challenges and weaknesses including lack of clear policies, lack of required knowledge and awareness in this field, and lack of knowledge about potential capacities in sport - culture diplomacy. In the end, some recommendations and measures to realize sport diplomacy goals through hosting international events, participation in international events, dispatching coaches and athletes, national media context, using sport stars and elites, and purposeful membership in international communities were offered.
- Toloei M. Comprehensive Political Science Culture,Tehran, Science publication.2006 (In Persian)
- Khabiri M. Investigating the Position of Sport in Public Diplomacy of the Islamic Republic of Iran , Research project, Ministry of Sport and Youth. 2014 (In Persian)
- Shariati M. Design and Modeling of the Components of Sport Diplomacy in International Relations Development, Doctoral dissertation, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Tehran University,2015. (In Persian)
- Shariati Phize Abadi M.,&Godarzi M. The Position of Sport Diplomacy in International Relations of the Islamic Republic of Iran; A Qualitative Approach Based on Content Analysis , Journal of Political Science,2015,95:22-127. (In Persian)
- Sabaghian A. Sport Diplomacy, Journal of Cultural Studies – Communica,2015,31,131. (In Persian)
- Pyman Phar M H. Designing a Strategic Model for Sport Diplomacy Development of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Doctoral dissertation, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Kharazmi University,2016. (In Persian)
- Pigman A . International Sport and Diplomacy's Public Dimension: Governments, Sporting Federations and the Global Audience, Diplomacy & Statecraft,2014, 25(1) :94-114.
- Buckel, B. A . Nationalism, Mass Politics, and Sport: Cold War Case Studiesat Seven Degrees, DTIC Document,2008.
- Yen, Ch . Sport, Diplomacy, and the Role of an Athlete asAmbassador: Liang-Huan Lu and Golfin Taiwan, The International Journal of the History of Sport,2013,30(9), :1008-1021