Document Type : Research Paper
The aim of this study was to investigate general decision making styles in sport managers.The statistical population consistedof 237 sport managers from Isfahan province. The sample size was determined based on Krejcie and Morgan table (n=144) by stratified random sampling method. For data collection, Scott and Bruce (1995) questionnaire was used in 25 items and 5 criterions: intuitive style, dependent style, rational style, avoidance style, and spontaneous style. Face, content and construct validity of this questionnaire and also its reliabilitywere approved. For data analysis, exploratory factor analysis, Pearson correlation and Friedman statistical testes and also two methods of multiple objective decision making methods (GTOPSIS and GSAW) were used. Results showed that rational, intuitive, and avoidance styles were dominant in sport managers’ general decision making styles. Dependent and spontaneous styles were less used by these managers. Among sport managers’ general decision making styles, there was a significant and positive relationship between rational and intuitive styles. There was a significant and negative relationship between rational and spontaneous styles and also between intuitive and spontaneous styles.
- King B (2002). Passion that can’t be counted puts billions of dollars in play. Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal. 4 (47). 25-39.
- Ali Akbari Sh (2014). The relationship between thinking style and performance effectiveness among senior managers of football clubs in Iran Premier League. MSC Thesis, Islamic Azad University, Mobarakeh Branch. 2. (in Persian)
- Heidari E, Marzoghi R (2012). Investigation and Comparison of the Public Decision-making Styles of University Administrators: A Case Study of Shiraz University. New Methods in educational management. 3 (12). 67-84. (in Persian)
- Akbari M, Zare H (2012). Prediction of risky behavior in adolescence and its relationship with sensation seeking and decision making styles. Research in psychological health. 6 (1). 57-65. (in Persian)
- Alvani M (2009). Governmental decision making and strategy. Tehran: SAMT Pub. 10-21. (in Persian)
- Pamela Ch (1996). Decisions. Decisions”. Journal of Management in Medicine. 10 (6). 43.
- Koontz H, Weihrich H (1989). Management. (9th ed). New York Mc Grow – Hi book Co.
- Del Campo C, Pauser S, Steiner E, Vetschera R (2016). Decision making styles and the use of heuristics in decision making. Journal of Business Economics. 86 (4). 389-412
- Dabić M, Tipurić D, Podrug N (2015). Cultural differences affecting decision-making style: a comparative study between four countries. Journal of Business Economics and Management. 16 (2). 275-289.
- Nazemi F, Saffarinia M (2015), The Relationship between Decision-Making Styles and Risk perception and Entrepreneurial Behavior among Cultural Managers. Quarterly journal of innovation and creativity in human sciences. 4 (4). 89-117. (in Persian)
- Hadi Zade A, Tehrani M (2008). The investigation of relationship between general decision making styles in mangers of governmental organizations. Governmental Management. 1 (1). 123-138. (in Persian)
- Karimi M S (2011). The investigation of decision making styles in governmental organizations. MSC Thesis, Islamic Azad University, Sanandaj Branch. 122-126. (in Persian)
- Hariri H, Monypenny R, Prideaux M (2014). Leadership styles and decision-making styles in an Indonesian school context. School Leadership and Management. 34 (3), 284-298.
- Mazaher L, Mohammadi S, Ekradi E, Parvin E, Fazeli H. (2017). Studying the Relationship between Managers' Decision Making Styles with the Level of Creativity and Participative Management in Guidance Schools. Quarterly journal of innovation and creativity in human sciences. 6 (4). 171-196. (in Persian)
- ghorbani Z,, Malekzadeh Gh R, Khorakian A R (2016). Investigating the Mediating Role of Rational and Intuitive Decision-Making Styles of Managers on the Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Innovative Behaviors. Organizational behavior studies quarterly. 2 (18). 51-84. (in Persian)
- Ahmed Khan E, Naveed Riaz M, Batool N, Akram Riaz M (2016). Emotional Intelligence as a Predictor of Decision Making Styles among university students”. Journal of Applied Environmental and Biological Sciences. 6 (4s), 93-99.
- Davids E L, Vanessa R N, Leach L (2016). Decision Making Styles: A Systematic Review of Their Associations with Parenting. Adolescent Research Review. 1 (1), 69-90.
- Thunholm P (2004). Decision–Making Style: habit. Style or both?. Journal of Personality and Individual Differences. 36 (4). 932-944.
- Rowe A, Mason R (1987). Managing with style: A guide to understanding, assessing, and improving decision making. San Francisco. CA: Jossey Bass Inc publishers. 14-30.
- Tatum C B, Eberlin R, Kottraba C, Bradberry T (2003). Leadership. Decision Making and Organization Justic. Journal of Management Decision. 1006-1016.
- Scott S G, Bruce R A (1995). Decision-making style: the development and assessment of a new measure. Educational and Psychological Measurement. 55. 818-831.
- Spicer D P, Smith E (2005). An examination of the general decision making style. Journal or Managerial Psychology. 20 (2). 137-138.
- Harren V A (1979). A model of career decision making for college students. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 14. 119-133.
- Phillips S D, Pazienza N Y, Ferrin H H (1984). Decision making styles and problem solving appraisal. Journal of Counseling Psychology. 31. 497-502.
- Hoy K W, Miskel G C (2012). Educational Administration: Theory. Research. And Practice. McGraw Hill. Inc: 15-22.
- Patton J R (2003). Intuition in Decisions. Journal of Management Decision. 41 (10). 989-996.
- Parker A M, Wandi B B, Baruch F (2007). Maximizes versus Satisfiers: Decision Making Styles. Competence and Outcomes. Judgment and Decision Making. 2 (6). 342-344.
- Baker B A (2012). Individual Differences in Rater Decision-Making Style: An Exploratory Mixed-Methods Study. Language Assessment Quarterly. 9 (3). 225-24.
- Wang X, Triantaphyllou E. (2008). Ranking Irregularities When Evaluating Alternatives by using Some ELECTRE Methods. Omega. 36(1). 45 – 63.
- Afful-Dadzie A, Afful-Dadzie E, Turkson Ch (2016). A TOPSIS extension framework for re-conceptualizing sustainability measurement. Kybernetes. 45 (1). 70-86.
- Chen T Y, Tsao C Y (2008). The interval-valued fuzzy TOPSIS method and experimental analysis. Fuzzy Sets and Systems. 159. 1410 – 1428.