Document Type : Research Paper
The purpose of the present study was to investigate the role of workplace discrimination on mental health and job performance among employers of Sport and Youth offices in Kermanshah province. The population of this study consists of all employers of the Sport and Youth offices of Kermanshah province and it equal to 210 persons that all persons were selected as research sample which finally 198 questionnaires were analyzed. To collect data, questionnaires of Pascoe & Richman (2009) workplace discrimination, Backer (2008) mental health and Bobbin & Boles (2004) job performance were used. To analyze data and identify the effects of research variables, structural equation modeling with the use of LIZREL software was applied. The results indicate that workplace discrimination had negative and significant effect on mental health and job performance of employers of the Sport and Youth offices of Kermanshah province. With respect to the results of study, it can be concluded that workplace discrimination can lead to decrease employers’ mental health and job performance. Therefore, it can be suggested that the managers of Sport and Youth offices in Kermanshah province by eliminating workplace discrimination, enhancing mental health and job performance of their employers.
- Ozcelik H. Exploring the activation dimension of affect in organizations: A focus on trait-level activation, climate-level activation, and work-related outcomes. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 2016; 38(3): 351-371.
- Gberevbie DE, Osibanjo AO, Adeniji AA, Oludayo OA. An empirical study of gender discrimination and employee performance among academic staff of government universities in Lagos state, Nigeria. International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering. 2014; 8(1): 98-105.
- Mohammad JU, Rumana HL, Saad MH. Impact of organizational culture on employee performance and productivity: A case study of telecommunication sector in Bangladesh. International Journal of Business and Management. 2013; 8(2): 63-77.
- Abolghasemi A, Moradi S, Mohammad Zahed A. [The relationship between personal initiative, religious orientation and organizational social capital and workers job performances in the productive centers (In Persian)].Knowledge and Research in Applied Psychology. 2011; 12(1): 86-94.
- Ahadi B, Fathi A. Abdolhamidi K. [Investigating the Effective Psychological Factors on Job Performance of Police Commanders in East Azerbaijan (In Persian)]. Journal of Enforcement Knowledge of East Azerbaijan. 2014; 4(15): 63-78.
- Hadizadeh M, Akrami A, Tehrani M. Predicting model of organizational identity toward its effect on organizational citizenship behaviors (OCBs). African Journal of Business Management. 2011; 5(23): 9877-9888.
- Gao J, Weaver SR, Dai J, Jia J, Liu X, Jin K, Fu H. Workplace social capital and mental health among Chinese employees: A multi-level, cross-sectional study. PLOS ONE. 2014; 9(1): 1-6.
- Nahar L, Hossain A, Rahman A, Bairagi A. The relationship of job satisfaction, job stress, mental health of government and non-government employees of Bangladesh. Scientific Research. 2013; 4(6): 520-525.
- Ghadampoor E. [Relationship between Organizational Factors and Mental Health of Employees of Governmental Organizations of Lorestan Province (In Persian)]. Journal of Lorestan University of Medical Sciences. 2015; 17: 95-105.
- Tynan RJ, Considine R, Rich JL, Skehan J, Wiggers J, Lewin TJ, James C, Inder K, Baker AL, Kay-Lambkin F, Perkins D, Brian J, Kelly BJ. Help-seeking for mental health problems by employees in the Australian Mining Industry. BMC Health Services Research. 2016; 16: 1-12.
- Maclean JC, Webber D, French MT. Workplace problems, mental health and substance use. Applied Economics. 2015; 47(9): 883-905.
- Dimoff JK, Kelloway EK, Burnstein MD. Mental Health Awareness Training (MHAT): The development and evaluation of an intervention for workplace leaders. International Journal of Stress Management. 2016; 23: 167-189.
- De Castro AB, Gee GC, Takeuchi DT. Workplace discrimination and health among Filipinos in the United States. American Journal of Public Health. 2008; 98(3): 520-526.
- Rospenda KM, Richman JA, Ehmke JL, Zlatoper KW. Is workplace harassment hazardous to your health? Journal of Business and Psychology. 2005; 20(1): 95-110.
- McMahon BT, Shaw LR. Workplace discrimination and disability. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation. 2005; 23(3): 137-143.
- Triana MDC, Mevan CJ, Pieper JR. Perceived workplace racial discrimination and its correlates: A meta-analysis. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 2015; 36: 491-513.
- O’Brien R, McAbee ST, Hebl MR, Rodgers JR. The impact of interpersonal discrimination and stress on health and performance for early career STEM academicians. Frontiers in Psychology. 2016; 7: 1-7.
- Trau RNC.The impact of discriminatory climate perceptions on the composition of intraorganizational developmental networks, psychosocial support, and job and career attitudes of employees with an invisible stigma. Human Resource Management. 2015; 54(2): 345-366.
- Chou RJ, Choi NG. Prevalence and correlates of perceived workplace discrimination among older workers in the United States of America. Ageing & Society. 2011; 31: 1051-1070.
- Roessler RT, Neath J, McMahon BT, Rumrill PD. Workplace discrimination outcomes and their predictive factors for adults with multiple sclerosis. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin. 2007; 50(3): 139-152.
- Roberts RK, Swanson NG, Murphy LR. Discrimination and occupational mental health. Journal of Mental Health. 2004; 13(2):129-142.
- Madera JM, King EB, Hebl MR. Bringing social identity to work: The influence of manifestation and suppression on perceived discrimination, job satisfaction, and turnover Intentions. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology. 2012; 18: 165-170.
- Ellen A, Ensher EJ, Grant V, Stewart I. Donaldson Effects of perceived discrimination on job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, Organizational Citizenship Behavior and Grievances. Human Resource Development Quarterly. 2001; 12(1): 53-72.
- Pavalko EK, Mossakowski KN, Hamilton VJ. Does perceived discrimination affect health? Longitudinal relationships between work discrimination and women's physical and emotional health. Journal of Health and Social Behavior. 2003; 44(1): 18-33.
- Skaggs S, Stainback K. Does Workplace Sex Discrimination Affect Mental and Physical Health? Annual Meetings of the American Sociological Association, San Francisco; 2009.
- Channar ZA, Abbassi Z, Ujan IA. Gender discrimination in workforce and its impact on the employees. Pakistan Journal of Commerce and Social Sciences. 2012; 5(1): 177-191.
- Adja-Kwaku C. Workplace discrimination and its impact on employee performance (A case study of selected police station in Kumasi) [MA]. Accra University; 2013.
- Khalid M, Aroosh R. Outcomes of gender discrimination: A study of female workers in banking sector of Pakistan.Journal of Business and Management. 2014; 16(7): 38-48.
- Dwomoh G, Owusu EE, Mensah AF. Workplace discrimination and its influence on employees’ performance: The case of Ghana. International Journal of Information, Business and Management. 2015; 7(3): 226-237.
- Lee SH, Lee HS, Kim GH, Lee JH, Lee KJ, Kim JJ. The association between perceived discrimination and depression/anxiety disorders among Korean workers: analysis of the third Korean working conditions survey. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2016; 28: 2-10.
- Villadsen A, Wulff J. Is the public sector a fairer employer? Ethnic employment discrimination in the public and private sectors. Academy of Management Discoveries. 2017; 3(3): 141-162.
- Schumacker RE, Lomax RG. A Beginner's Guide to Structural Equation Modeling. 3rd Ed. New York; Taylor and Francis Group; 2010.