Document Type : Research Paper
University of arak
Talent development in sports is a long-term process. One of the most important issues in this context is talent development environment which is affected by different factors. In this regard, some tools have been developed to assess talent development environment in sports. The present study aimed at determining the validity and reliability of the Persian version of the questionnaire of talent development environment in sport. The Martindale et al. questionnaire (2010) was used in this study. The population consisted of all male athletes in Markazi province who exercised regularly. The statistical sample consisted of 384 athletes who were selected by simple random sampling method. For data analysis, factor analysis and Cronbach's alpha tests were used in SPSS version 22 and LISREL version 8.8. The results confirmed the construct validity of the questionnaire with six factors including long-term development, quality preparation, communication, support networks, challenging environment and long-term development fundamentals and the obtained model had a good fit (RMSEA=0.037 , CFI=0.92, AGFI=0.92, x2/df=1.93). In addition, the reliability of the questionnaire was α=0.927, which was appropriate. Hence, this questionnaire can be a useful tool to assess the status of the talent development environment in sport. Therefore, it is recommended that it should be used in sport in Iran.
- De Bosscher, V. De Knop, P. Van Bottenburg, M. Shiblli, S. Bingham, J."Explaining international Sporting Success: An International comporison of elite sport systems and policies in six countries". Sport Management Reviw,2009: 12: 113-136.
- Vaeyens, R., Güllich, A., Warr, C.R., Philippaerts,R. "Talent identification and promotion programmes of Olympic athletes".J Sports Sci 2009 Nov;27(13):1367-80).
- Brown J. Sports talent. Arsham S, Radina E, Translators. Tehran: Knowledge and movement publication; 2007.P.76-77.(In Persian)
- Martindale, R., Collins, D. Wang, C. K. J. McNeill, M. Lee, K. S. Sproule, J. & Westbury, T. "Development of the talent development environment questionnaire (TDEQ) for sport". Journal of Sports Science,2010: 28, 1209-1221.
- Gagné, F. "Academic talent development and the equity issue in gifted education". Talent Development & Excellence,2011: 3, 3-22.
- Martindale, R., Collins, D., & Abraham, A. "Effective talent development: The elite coach perspective Within UK sport". Journal of Applied Sports psychology,2007: 19, 187-206.
- Bailey, R. & Morley, D."Towards a model of talent development in physical education. Sport", Education and Society.2006:11 (3): 211-230.
- Mundeg, S, M."Factors Associated with Succesfull Talent Development in south africa Soccer Player," Master Dissertation, Nelson Mandela University, Nelson Mandela, Metropolitan.2011.
- Araújo, D, & Davids, K. "Talent development: From possessing gifts, to functional environmental interactions". Talent Development & Excellence.2011: 3, 23-25.
- Bailey, R., Toms, M., Collins, D., Ford, P., MacNamara, Á., & Pearce, G. "Models of young player development in sport". In I. Stafford (Ed.), Coaching children in sport.2011. pp. 38-56. London: Taylor & Francis Group.
- Li, C., Wang, C. K. J., & Pyun, D. Y. "Talent development environmental factors in sport: A review and taxonomic classification". Quest,2014: 66(4): 433-447.
- Henriksen, K. Stambulova, N. & Roessler K. "Successful talent development in track and field: considering the role of environment". Scand J Med Sci Sports,2010: 20 (2): 122–132.
- Oi Lan, C., Regina "Factors influencing talent development of elite athletes in Hong Kong". Dissertation presented in part fulfillment of the requirements of the degree of Master of Education, University of Hong Kong.2012.
- Williams, A.M. & Hodges, N.J."Practice, instruction and skill acquisition in soccer: challenging tradition". Journal of Sports Sciences,2005: 23(6): 635- 650.
- Baker, J & Horton, S. "A review of primary and secondary influences on sport expertise". High Ability Studies.2004: 15(2). 211-228.
- Pain, M.A. & Harwood, C. "The performance environment of the England youth soccer teams". Journal of Sports Sciences.2007:25(12): 1307-1324.
- Khalaji H. Proceedings of the second national conference on sports talent (Iran); 2012 Oct; Basig organization of the country: 2012. P.20.(In Persian)
- Wang, C. K., Sproule, J., McNeill, M., Martindale, R. & Lee, K.S. " Impact of the Talent Development Environment on Achievement Goals and Life Aspirations in Singapore". Journal of Applied Sport Psychology,2011: 23:3, 263-276.
- Lee, M.S., Kim, Y.S., & Choi,Y.J. "The relationship between sport talent development environment and achievement goal in sport of college athletes". Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society2012: 23(3), 475–485.
- Martindale R., Collins,D., Douglas, C. & Whike, A. "Examining the ecological validity of the Talent Development Environment Questionnaire". Journal of Sports Sciences,2013: 31(1):41-47.
- Mills, A., Butt, J., Maynard, I., & Harwood, C. "Examining the development environments of elite English Football Academies: the players’ perspective". International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching.2014: 9 (6),1457-1472.
- Li C, Wang CK, Pyun do Y, & Martindale R. "Further development of the talent development environment questionnaire for sport". J Sports Sci.2015:33 (17):1831-43.
- Khaki H. Research methodology with emphasis on thesis writing. Tehran. Baztab publication; 2008.P.288-293.(In Persian).
- Burgess, D. J.& Naughton, G. A. "Talent development in adolescent team sport: A review". International Journal of Sports physiology and performance.2010: 5.103-116.