Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant professor of Kharazmi University
Associated Professor of Pershian Gulf University
Many researchers believe that commitment to strategic planning is one of the factors influencing the implementation of strategies. The results of a study by Peymanfar (2011) on the identification of barriers to implementation of Iran’s sports system strategies showed that the most important barrier was that the managers did not have commitment to strategies. Due to the importance of this issue in the formulation and implementation of strategic plans in Iran sport system, this study explored the minds of Iran sport top managers by Q method to understand why they did not have commitment to this planning. The results of this study which were obtained using the correlation matrix and factor analysis, suggested that there were 4 types of thinking and dominant mentality in managers’ lack of commitment to strategic planning. In this study, the most predominant mentality was called mentality of competency-oriented managers. Other models identified in this study were strategy- oriented, vision-oriented, and environment-oriented. Since each of these models is based on their own mentality and aspects, we hope to see higher commitment of the sport managers to the strategic plans through the appropriate employment of these models.
- Phillips, P. A & Moutinho, Luiz “Measuring Strategic Planning Effectiveness in Hotels. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 1999, 11(7): 231-244.
- De Wit, B & Meyer, R “Strategy process, Content, Context: An International Perspective”, Third Edition, North Yorkshire Learning, ITP Press: London, 2004, 1-957.
- Ginsberg, A “Measuring and Modeling Changes in Strategy: Theoretical Foundations and Empirical Direction. Strategic Management Journal, 1998, 9: 559-575.
- Peymanfar, M, H “ Barriers to the Effective Implementation of Strategies in the Iranian Sports System” Master's thesis, Kharazmi University, Tehran, 2011,1-168. (in Persian)
- Cater, T & pucko, D “Factors of effective strategy Implementation: Empirical evidence from Slovenian business practice” JEEMS, 2010,3: 207-236.
- Beer, A &Eisenstat, R. A “The silent killers of strategy implementation and learning”. Sloan Management Review, 41(4): 29-40.
- Alkhafaji, A. F “ Strategic Management, Formulation, Implementation, and Control in a Dynamic Environment” Haworth Press, 2003,1-311.
- Ahmad, K. Z., & Bakar, R. A “The association between training and organizational commitment among white collar workers in Malaysia” International Journal of Training and Development, 2003, 7 (3):166-185.
- Porter, L.W., Steers, R.M., Mowday, R.T. and Boulian, p.v “Organizational commitment, job satisfaction, and turnover among psychiatric technicians” journal of applied psuchology, 1974, 59 ) 5(:603- 609.
- Leibner, J., A. Weiss, & G. Mader “The Power of Strategic Commitment: Achieving Extraordinary Results Through Total Alignment and Engagement”American Management Association,2009,http://www.garytomlinson.com/media/Book_Report_-_The_Power_of_Strategic_Commitment.pdf.
- Li, A., & Butler, A. B. “ The effect of participation in goal setting and goal rationales on goal commitment: An Exploration of Justice Mediators. Journal of Business and Psychology,2004, 19 (1): 56-74.
- Thompson, A. A& Strickland, A. J “Strategy management: concepts and cases,12th ed, New York: McGraw-Hill/Irwin,2001.
- Peymanfar, M, H,. Elahi, A, R & Hamidi, M “Infrastructure barriers of the country's sports system in implementing strategic plans” Journal of Strategy, 2012, 3: 145-156. (in Persian)
- Sull, D & , Ch “Promise-Based Management: The Essence of Execution” Harvard Business Review,2007, 85: 79-86.
- Bower J. L& Gilbert, C “How Managers' Everyday Decisions Create-or Destroy-Your Company's Strategy” Harvard Business Review Article, 2007, 120-138.
- Kaplan, R. S & Norton, D. P “Alignment: Using the Balanced Scorecard to Create Corporate Synergies”, Harvard Business School Press, 2006,1-464.
- Atafar, A & Zare, S, M “Introduction of effective factors on managers' commitment to strategy” Journal of police organizational development, 2012, 40:11-32. (in Persian)
- Danaeefard, H,. Hoseini, S,Y & Sheikhha, R “Q Methodology: Theoretical Foundations and Framework for Research” Tehran, Published by Safar, 70. (in Persian)
- Wootton, S& Horne, T “Strategic Thinking: A nine step approach to strategy and leadership for managers and marketers” 3rd edition, London Kogan, 2010:56.
- Hrebiniak, L.G. “Obstacles to effective strategy implementation. Organizational Dynamics” 2006, 35(1): 12-31.
- Muciiri, H “Goal communication and commitment as critical elements to strategy implementation” Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Capella University,2007.
- Okamus, F “Towards a strategy implementation framework. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 2001: 327-338.