Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant professor, Industrial Management, Faculty of management, university of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
university of tehran
Today, sport competitions are being held under different titles around the world and have attracted many fans. Team sports like football and volleyball have turned to big businesses and huge amounts of money are involved in the transfer of team players. So, one of the important issues in sports is to search new team members to fill open positions and to enhance the quality of the teams. Single attribute decision has recently been made to select top volley ball players while experts believe that this field requires multi attribute decisions. Therefore, the aim of this study was to provide a scientific framework to rank volleyball players and to select top players to play their roles in different positions. Firstly, a list of criteria to select players in different positions was provided using literature review and meetings with experts of the field. Then, SWARA method and experts’ viewpoints were employed to prioritize and weigh the mentioned criteria. TODIM method was introduced to finally select top players from the existing options. To assure the accuracy of the research path, the designed framework was used to rank those players participating in 2015 World Cup in Japan and to form the world selected team. This study was application in terms of aims and descriptive – survey in terms of data collection.
- Ahmed, F., Deb, K., & Jindal, A. (2013). "Multi-objective optimization and decision making approaches to cricket team selection". Applied Soft Computing, 13(1), 402-414.
- Baltos, G., & Mitsopoulou, Z. (2007). "Team formation under normal versus crisis situations: leaders' assessments of task requirements and selection of team members". NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL MONTEREY CA.
- Boon, B. H., & Sierksma, G. (2003). "Team formation: Matching quality supply and quality demand". European Journal of Operational Research, 148(2), 277-292.
- Bouyssou, D. (1986). "Some remarks on the notion of compensation in MCDM". European Journal of Operational Research, 26(1), 150-160.
- Bozóki, S., Csató, L., & Temesi, J. (2016). "An application of incomplete pairwise comparison matrices for ranking top tennis players". European Journal of Operational Research, 248(1), 211-218.
- Dadelo, S., Turskis, Z., Zavadskas, E. K., & Dadeliene, R. (2014). "Multi-criteria assessment and ranking system of sport team formation based on objective-measured values of criteria set". Expert Systems with Applications, 41(14), 6106-6113.
- Datta, A., Hossain, M., & Kaykobad, M. (2008). "An improved MST algorithm for ranking players of a round-robin tournament". International Journal of Computer Mathematics, 85(1), 1-7.
- Dehnavi, A., Aghdam, I. N., Pradhan, B., & Varzandeh, M. H. M. (2015). "A new hybrid model using step-wise weight assessment ratio analysis (SWARA) technique and adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system (ANFIS) for regional landslide hazard assessment in Iran". Catena, 135, 122-148.
- Gomes, L. F. A. M., Machado, M. A. S., & Rangel, L. A. D. (2013). "Behavioral multi-criteria decision analysis: the TODIM method with criteria interactions". Annals of Operations Research, 211(1), 531-548.
- Gomes, L. F. A. M., Machado, M. A. S., & Rangel, L. A. D. (2014). "Multi-criteria analysis of natural gas destination in Brazil: A comparison of TODIM against the use of the Choquet integral". Procedia Computer Science, 31, 351-358.
- Gomes, L. F. A. M., Machado, M. A. S., Santos, D. J., & Caldeira, A. M. (2015). "Ranking of Suppliers for a Steel Industry: A Comparison of the Original TODIM and the Choquet-extended TODIM Methods". Procedia Computer Science, 55, 706-714.
- Han, B., Xie, R., Li, L., Zhu, L., & Wang, S. (2014). "A heuristic biomarker selection approach based on professional tennis player ranking strategy". Computer methods and programs in biomedicine, 113(1), 186-201.
- Hasan Aghdaie, M., Hashemkhani Zolfani, S., & Zavadskas, E. K. (2013). "Decision making in machine tool selection: An integrated approach with SWARA and COPRAS-G methods". Engineering Economics, 24(1), 5-17.
- Hashemkhani Zolfani, S., Farrokhzad, M., & Turskis, Z. (2013). "Investigating on succesful factors of online games based on explorer".
- Kahneman, D., & Tversky, A. (1979). "Prospect theory: An analysis of decision under risk". Econometrica: Journal of the Econometric Society, 263-291.
- Keršuliene, V., Zavadskas, E. K., & Turskis, Z. (2010). "Selection of rational dispute resolution method by applying new step‐wise weight assessment ratio analysis (SWARA)". Journal of Business Economics and Management, 11(2), 243-258.
- Keršulienė, V., & Turskis, Z. (2011). "Integrated fuzzy multiple criteria decision making model for architect selection". Technological and Economic Development of Economy, 17(4), 645-666.
- Lourenzutti, R., & Krohling, R. A. (2013). "A study of TODIM in a intuitionistic fuzzy and random environment". Expert Systems with Applications, 40(16), 6459-6468.
- Lourenzutti, R., & Krohling, R. A. (2014). "The Hellinger distance in multicriteria decision making: an illustration to the TOPSIS and TODIM methods". Expert Systems with Applications, 41(9), 4414-4421.
- Ramón, N., Ruiz, J. L., & Sirvent, I. (2012). "Common sets of weights as summaries of DEA profiles of weights: with an application to the ranking of professional tennis players". Expert Systems with Applications, 39(5), 4882-4889.
- Reid, M., & Morris, C. (2013). "Ranking benchmarks of top 100 players in men's professional tennis". European journal of sport science, 13(4), 350-355.
- Reid, M., Morgan, S., Churchill, T., & Bane, M. K. (2014). "Rankings in professional men’s tennis: a rich but underutilized source of information".Journal of sports sciences, 32(10), 986-992.
- Tavana, M., Azizi, F., Azizi, F., & Behzadian, M. (2013). "A fuzzy inference system with application to player selection and team formation in multi-player sports". Sport Management Review, 16(1), 97-110.
- Tseng, M. L., Lin, Y. H., Tan, K., Chen, R. H., & Chen, Y. H. (2014). "Using TODIM to evaluate green supply chain practices under uncertainty". Applied Mathematical Modelling, 38(11), 2983-2995.
- Trninić, S., Papić, V., Trninić, V., & Vukičević, D. (2008). "Player selection procedures in team sports games". Acta Kinesiologica, 2(1), 24-28.
- Vafaeipour, M., Zolfani, S. H., Varzandeh, M. H. M., Derakhti, A., & Eshkalag, M. K. (2014). "Assessment of regions priority for implementation of solar projects in Iran: New application of a hybrid multi-criteria decision making approach". Energy Conversion and Management, 86, 653-663.
- Wang, J., & Zhang, J. (2015). "A win–win team formation problem based on the negotiation". Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 44, 137-152.
- Zakarian, A., & Kusiak, A. (1999). "Forming teams: an analytical approach". IIE transactions, 31(1), 85-97.
- Zolfani, S. H., Aghdaie, M. H., Derakhti, A., Zavadskas, E. K., & Varzandeh, M. H. M. (2013). "Decision making on business issues with foresight perspective; an application of new hybrid MCDM model in shopping mall locating". Expert systems with applications, 40(17), 7111-7121.
- Zolfani, S. H., Esfahani, M. H., Bitarafan, M., Zavadskas, E. K., & Arefi, S. L. (2013). "Developing a new hybrid MCDM method for selection of the optimal alternative of mechanical longitudinal ventilation of tunnel pollutants during automobile accidents". Transport, 28(1), 89-96.
- Zolfani, S. H., & Saparauskas, J. (2013). "New application of SWARA method in prioritizing sustainability assessment indicators of energy system". Engineering Economics, 24(5), 408-414.
- Zolfani, S. H., Zavadskas, E. K., & Turskis, Z. (2013). "Design of products with both International and Local perspectives based on Yin-Yang balance theory and SWARA method". Economic Research-Ekonomska Istraživanja, 26(2), 153-166.